Topic

Altitude Sickness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“Ouzelade” is my spin on Gatorade…but a tribute to my buddy Tom K., an ouzel in spirit.

Without Tang it’s very very mildy sweet…but pretty neutral. Easy to do without flavoring. I find I keep dropping the Tang content I use from batch to batch to get a “just there” orange taste. I will probably settle on one tsp. I’m working on a mocha version with chocolate protein powder (which would be very mild in flavor at this ratio) and a touch of instant coffee for an afternoon pick me up.

Again, I owe all this info to Tom K. primarily. He can go seriously in depth on the subject.

A taste of some old BPL nuggets on the topic here…

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/41475/

The above is an interesting conversation. I should edit and add that the most I’ve done in a day is ~700 calories, or two bottles. I don’t think more is necessary for me; this is just to cover me during stretches when I’m going hard and simply do not want to eat, i.e. hard passes or to get through the final 5-10 miles of a long day. A lot of this is discussed in the link above. I can vouch for Hiking Malto and have done an endurance event with him…He’s a wealth of knowledge on this topic if you search for his old posts, thru-hiked the entire PCT in like 90 days using this system.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Thank you, Craig!

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools