Topic

Alternative overbag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Alternative overbag

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    James H
    Spectator

@isham

I have been wondering about managing condensation  with an alpaca sleeping bag liner as an overbag…any thoughts and input?

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

Generally putting my liner over my quilt keeps me warmer than if I put the liner inside the quilt. Would you be inside a single-wall tent? Bivy? Double-wall tent? Under a tarp?

I only know of one alpaca liner on the market; I’ve got one and do exactly what you’re talking about, but if you’re much over 5’6″ then you can’t get the liner over your head or shoulders unless you stretch it, and that material REALLY loses shape fast. I’ve gone through two of their sweaters in a year, and besides lots and lots of holes, they’re stretched out beyond all kin.

I put my closed cell foam on TOP of my inflatable, if I’ve got both, and I think that eliminates a pretty significant heat sink in that none of your body heat is mixing with  the cold air in the pad. In my book – and admittedly there are plenty of more experienced minds on this site – any time you can prevent cold air from crashing into warm air, you can reduce condensation.

James H
    Spectator

@isham

Thanks for the input!! …i am 5 11 so this info is very helpful to me!! It sounds like i should go with one of timmermade’s argon 67, alpha direct over quilts…or maybe an apex one…i really wanted to use natural materials though…i have felt the alpaca fleece and it is amazing, and very warm for the weight…but i would have to really stretch it like you pointed out…

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

I’m 6’4″ and I use the alpaca, in and out of the house. It’s ridiculously comfortable. (It’s not nearly as warm as they tell you it is, but still really nice.) I think it’s most useful as an overbag; using it by itself even in a heated house, I’ll wake up cold in the middle of the night. If you want to pay shipping to you and back to me, I’d be happy to lend you mine for a few days to mess with. The Timmermade seems like it’s much more useful size/shape.

I’ve had a disappointing interaction with the company in re trying to post an honest review, so actively looking for a different company to buy the next sweater down the road, but I’d take a hard look at their bag liner before I dismissed it.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

You can also just use a raw sheet of Apex insulation as an overquilt. Assuming that the natural route doesn’t work out as well. It’s actually probably the best thing you could ever use for this application in terms of weight and price to effectiveness ratio. As long as you take care to not drag the thing through dirt and not pull it too hard sideways to where it will rip, it lasts a long time.

A 3.6 oz/yd Apex overquilt will weigh only around 5-7 ounces depending on the size. It will also block out most condensed moisture from even touching the sleeping bag and will help push the dew point to outside the bag.

On top of that, you can cut a head hole into the Apex sheet and use it as a poncho in cold weather under a rain shell or wind shell. That way you can reduce or eliminate the need for a warm puffy jacket and double your sleeping insulation to use as active wear.

You could also use an Alpaca poncho and get the same dual use out of it. Ponchos are alpaca fur bread and butter. LOL

SOURCE: I have been doing this myself with a sheet of Apex and it works great. You can even buy some 0.5 oz/yd NoSeeum mesh and hand sew it onto the Apex sheet to make it more durable and resistant to debris getting into it.

Apex insulation ranges from $7-$10 a linear yard (54″ wide per yard) from Ripstop By the Roll. 0.5 ounce NoSeeum is also pretty cheap per linear yard. I find the 2.5 oz.yd stuff is a little too fragile, and the 3.6 is a nice jump up in that regard.

James H
    Spectator

@isham

Cool! Good ideas,

James H
    Spectator

@isham

Hey Ratatosk does the regular size liner come up far enough for you when you use it as an overbag?

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

^I think it’s a little over five feet long. Responded to your PM. -R

Terrence C
    BPL Member

@tinktheman12

What do you all think about using my Apex summer quilt, a 50-degree rated from EE. Would that take my 10-degree down to zero? Or less? I am especially hopeful it will take care of condensation problems on my down bag.

thanks,

TC

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West
    Terrence C
    BPL Member

@tinktheman12

That is perfect and I am pleasantly surprised to see these estimates for how effective my “topquilt” would do in winter conditions! Thanks! ~TC

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools