Topic

Alps mountaineering 6oz full length closed cell foam pad… too good to be true?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alps mountaineering 6oz full length closed cell foam pad… too good to be true?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Zachary F
    BPL Member

@zfish42

I’m looking for a new foam pad and saw this on backcountry http://www.backcountry.com/alps-mountaineering-foldable-foam-mat?skid=ALM001U-GRN-ONESIZ&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YWxwcyBtb3VudGFpbmVlcmluZyBzbGVlcGluZyBwYWQ6MTo0OmFscHMgbW91bnRhaW5lZXJpbmcgc2xlZXBpbmcgcGFk

The claimed weight is 6oz but I find that hard to believe for a full length pad. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I can’t find anything on google.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I don’t believe it. That looks like the old style Thermarest egg crate model… before they lightened it up… I bet it weighs about 12 oz or more. If you want to pursue it, call and ask them to weight one for you.

billy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

REI has been known (ahem) to be off on their specs but here are the posted specs for the Z lite size regular which I believe are correct.

72 x 20 x 0.75 inches = 14 oz.

Backcountry is advertising the Alps pad specs as:

71 x 22 x 0.75 in = 6 oz.

Sounds great but I’m not inclined to believe the hype.  This is one of those cases where I’d be happy to be wrong though so if anyone would care to take one for the team and try it out, it’d be greatly appreciated.

Assuming it’s closer to 14oz, it still looks like a good pad for $24.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

If you go to the Alps Mountaineering site, it is in fact quoted to be 6oz.  Interesting.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

It’s possible. A few years ago there was a thread on here about some South Korean mats available on ebay looking very like this mat. I got a couple. They’re PVA and one weighed 220g and the other was 200g. They’re not super durable but we’re still using them.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

OK, I placed an order for one.  I will weigh it and report back after it has arrived.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Interesting!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The plot thickens!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

A comment on the REI site: I received the pad this week and haven’t used it yet. However, I would like to note that the specified weight on the package says 6 oz., but I measured 10.2 oz. In the lightweight backpacking world that is a large difference.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Can’t comment on the weight, but the Z-rest style is a good and versatile one. A good price if you don’t mind the under-reported weight.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I bought a few sit pass from Gearbest.com an they look exactly like these except smaller. $3.50. I don’t have the dims on hand but they’re roughly the same size as the Z Lite sit pad but 1.1 oz vs 1.8 (Z lite). The Z Lite is definitely nicer and seems more durable but I think these will be just fine and hold up for long enough.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I have used both TAR’s Z-Rest sit pad as well as the cheapie Asian version (at different times).  The Asian ones are noticeably lighter, but they wear out (i.e. compress down) much more quickly.  At 6oz, it would be a great find; at 10oz, IMHO it’s a “good” not “great” find.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Called up Alps Mountaineering and had their product team weigh the mat. 10oz total. They’ll change the weight on the site today. Oh well…

Zachary F
    BPL Member

@zfish42

Bummer! Still 10oz is pretty good I might swoop one anyways. Thanks for the help guys!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

“Still 10oz is pretty good…”

Yes, for the weight of a full length foam pad… but what about the comfort level? And R factor?

Y’all who ordered, please let us know about these other factors…

billy

James Blackwell
    BPL Member

@blackwelljc

Locale: Oklahoma

Ordered two of these a couple of months ago from REI. One was 11.5 oz. and the other was 15 oz. Width varied from 21 3/4 inch to 21 7/8 in.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If it’s the same thickness but at a lower weight, I would think it must be less dense material, therefore not last all that long. I have an very well used thermarest z-lite sit pad and next to a new pad it’s lost about half it’s thickness from compression.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

11.31 ounces on my scale.  I still may use it paired up under my uninsulated Klymit static V pad.  The size is a good match.  But the slightly wider width of this pad (21 3/4″) makes a bulky item to pack.

The cushioning of the pad is quite a bit better than I expected for it’s thickness.  The long time durability is unknown, but i expect similar to other foam pads that I have owned.   I have no reason to expect less.   I just tried it briefly on the tile floor.  I have not slept with this pad yet.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools