Topic

Alpine trip locations for the first week of August 2023

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Alpine trip locations for the first week of August 2023

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I had almost decided to do the Uinta Highline Trail this year, but with the amount of snow they’ve had, I’m starting to re-think my decision.   Due to having two kids in school fall sports this year, I was trying to do my annual week long backpacking trip prior to school starting meaning a trip from July 29th to August 6th – pretty early in the season compared to what I normally do.

With the high snow in a lot of places out west this year, what are some suggested backpacking trips for that first week of August this year that won’t require an Ice Ax, won’t get me carried off by torrential runoff or swarms of mosquitos?

I typically like alpine areas like WRR or the Sierra’s but am open to suggestions.  I am fine for an on trail trip or a mix of on trail and off trail so long as it doesn’t get too technical.  I typically fly into a major airport and rent a car.

My other option is to just miss a football game and some volleyball games and go later in August to the Uintas and that’s what I’d normally do, but it’s my son’s Senior year playing QB and I hate to miss a game.

Also if anyone already has a trip set up that week and wants some more company, or is looking for a trip that week and wants to hike together, I’d welcome that as well as currently it looks like I may be solo this year.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

You might consider the North Kiabab Plateau of Arizona. Elevations average 9,000′ plus and it’s kind of underrated IMO. The AZT goes through it. I think one of the reasons it doesn’t get enough attention is because it’s logistically a hard and long drive to get to the trailheads by car. It’s the most pristine part of AZ I’ve hiked though. Being in the southern Intermountain West the snow will most likely be gone by August, however it’s easy to check on AZT’s website.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools