Topic

Alpine fly fishing in the Oregon Cascades

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Alpine fly fishing in the Oregon Cascades

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    R Y
    BPL Member

@rhyang

I’m thinking about a trip to Portland to visit my sister’s family this summer, perhaps in August, and was interested in throwing in some backpacking and fly fishing to a high country destination.  I’m driving up from California.

I used to live in Portland about 20 years ago, but that was before I did any fishing.  In the Sierra I usually consult such sites as stevenojai.tripod.com, highsierratopix and so on for lakes, creeks and rivers which may have fish.  I haven’t seen anything similar for Oregon (perhaps that is for the best :)  I have an old Wilderness Press guide to Oregon backpacking (Lorain, 1999), but it doesn’t say anything about fishing.

Anyway, I thought perhaps of one or two nights, fishing creeks or alpine lakes.  In the Sierra I’m used to 8-10 miles / day above 8000′.  Like most backpackers I prefer solitude.  Hmm, a Californian asking on the internet for an Oregonian’s list of remote backcountry fishing spots is probably a bit self-defeating, but there it is I guess.  Feel free to refer to me to a good book or website if that’s preferable.

Thanks !
    -Rob

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools