Topic

Alpacka Raft Option Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alpacka Raft Option Suggestions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

I’m going to pull the trigger on picking up an Alpacka Classic. The main use will be for mild rivers and creeks while backpacking. I will occasionally use it on more substantial whitewater but still typically class 2&3. I’m planning on doing the open configuration but my questions are:

1. Will I regret not doing thigh straps and a self bailing setup

2. Should I size down to be able to apply a little more tension when on white water?

Thanks for any feedback or input.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Personally I’d go either self bailing or decked. It will be much nicer when you discover mild whitewater is a lot of fun in a raft. If you do a trip like the South Fork of the Flathead you’ll be very happy to have either feature.

If you aren’t using a dry suit I would suggest a deck as a compromise. It’s a lighter and cheaper way to stay semi dry.

Thigh straps are not strictly necessary but I really like them even in milder whitewater.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’m 5’ 11” with a 32” inseam. I paddle the smallest Classic (the Alpaca). I started off in a Yukon Yak but felt it fit a bit loose. I skip the back band, but you can partially inflate it to customize cockpit length. Definitely get the deck. My latest boat has the new permanent Cruiser deck. No way I’d get a packraft without a deck.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I’ve had a self-bailer Classic for years. It’s certainly colder than a skirted model, but it’s SO much easier if you’re in and out of your boat a lot. If you don’t live in AK and you’ll be in shallow creeks necessitating frequent scouting, portaging, or pushing in shallow areas, self bailers are super convenient. I originally got a bailer so I could take our dog, but I’ve come to appreciate the benefits.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools