Topic

All around jacket for the city in the 60-70F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) All around jacket for the city in the 60-70F

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Flyer P
    BPL Member

@theflyer

Hi, guys I been doing some reading and was almost set on the Marmot Minimalist for the price and due to the gore-tex but then I found the Marmot Eclipse and the no need to be applying DWR coatings and I liked that idea.

I also found that Columbia have something similar.

The Marmot Eclipse is on sale for $165
    Columbia OutDry Ex Gold Tech Shell $175

Main use for this would be in the 60-70F temp, Florida winters or when is raining, not a whole lot of activity, more like standing around or slow walks, visit the Disney Parks :-)

would those fabric be any good in those temps or are they more for colder places?
    I would definitely need Pit Zippers.
    I seen some videos of Outdry fabric and it seem loud, is the Marmot the same?

Thanks for any advice!

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

What’s your desire for a DWR-less fabric? Is it for environmental reasons or do you really find yourself needing to reapply DWR often after just standing around in amusement parks etc?   I would think that would be a pretty easy life for most shells. Maybe look for something higher quality that what you’ve been using in the past and it’ll hold up much better. I don’t think you need something w/out DWR.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Patagonia Houdini?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The fabric has little to do with temperatures. Ventilation features are what you want to look for in a rain jacket. Pit zips, venting pockets and Velcro tabs or snaps on the front zipper will allow airflow.

In that temperature range, a windshirt would work for me for other than rain. For urban use, a windshirt and umbrella would be fine and a light colored or silver umbrella would provide sun protection too

I travel with a light stretchy softshell like the OR Ferrosi or Eddie Bauer Sandstone. They are heavier than a windshirt but tougher and breathe well. Hoodie versions are.available too.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Where I live year round average daytime temperature is 70F. I wear a patagonia down sweater every single day. I wear it on my motorcycle on the way to and from work. I wear it in my frozen office. I wear it if I go outside in the evening or when I go out for coffee on the weekends and sit on the patio. If it’s colder or raining, I add a rain coat, especially on my motorcycle.

If it’s not cold enough to wear my jacket, I wear a large men’s dress shirt as a light jacket.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

For around town, I’d just get an inexpensive REI rain jacket.   They have a couple for $50.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Marmot PreCip jacket is usually on sale somewhere, if not $99 is not a bad deal for the color choices,  pit-zips and a good fitting hood. Seen these in use from Seattle down to Orlando.

Flyer P
    BPL Member

@theflyer

Thanks,

i ended up up getting a cheap one from the blue store Swiss tech brand for like $20.

once this one fail in a few years I look into the Precip it seem it have good reviews.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools