Topic

Alaska! Looking for packraft float and fishing trip for next year

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Alaska! Looking for packraft float and fishing trip for next year

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

So we are trying to plan a packraft trip to Alaska for 2023.  All of us will be experienced boaters with lots of rivers etc.  We can take care of ourselves. We aren’t stupid and we listen to locals. ;)

Some of the basic parameters are:  Easy to Moderate. We aren’t trying to set records, or push the envelope with our gear. We want great great scenery, small river, easy water, fishing for normal species like salmon, trout, etc.    One big ticket would be the availability of possibly fishing for Char?  Otherwise, just want to get our feet wet this trip with the goal of future trips.  Remote is a big goal, and we could be out for 10 days if need be.

Thanks so much

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

If I were going to AK to do those activities, I’d start at Luc’s website which has plenty of routes and trip reports.

Not sure if the link command worked so here it is again https://thingstolucat.com

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I live in Alaska but actually haven’t done much packrafting since moving.

Based on other reports the Brooks Range is an obvious choice for your goals. There is good rafting in other areas but if you want small volume water you’d want to wait till fall. But don’t go to late. A friend of mine biked into a non motorized area and shot a moose 3rd week of September. An early storm dumped a foot of snow and they had to hike out, get skis and pull the meat 20 miles on skis (made me glad I didn’t go along!).

In fall the Wrangle Mountains should have lower water, greay colors and you could see some glaciers.

The Kenai Pennisula is nice but longer trips would be harder to put together.

The Alaska Range has some good options but will be a bit busier in hunting season (August for Caribou, September for moose). Might be hard to hire a bush plane.

You might do a shorter trip in Denali just for the experience and wildlife viewing then another longer trip somewhere else.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools