Topic

Alaska help needed (again)!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Alaska help needed (again)!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I’ll be backpacking in Gates of the Arctic at the end of June and had devised an excellent plan to spend another several days exploring by Jeep (with light hiking) afterwards. Unfortunately, due to bush flight scheduling issues, the plans have shifted a bit, which messes up my exploration week. Looking for help salvaging the trip.

I’ve got a Jeep reserved (can go on gravel roads) that I’ll now be picking up in Anchorage late on 7/2 or early 7/3. I fly out of Anchorage late on 7/6.

Originally I was going to drive the loop with Glenn Hwy and Denali Hwy, w/brief trip partway down Nabesna Rd where I was going to hike into a cabin for a night, dispersed camp and hike around Denali/Richardson Hwys a night or two, then spend two nights at Savage River in Denali.

I could keep the Denali reservations, but that leaves 7/3 open and paying the premium for a gravel-okay Jeep without the gravel (although regular car rentals at this late date look even more expensive than the Jeep). My original plan was mostly trying to stay off the beaten path, so I’m not terribly excited about spending the whole time in the busiest areas.

Any ideas? (Oh, and I’ve been around Kenai already so not terribly interested in that, plus Seward has a big July 4 festival, which isn’t my jam. I’m open to skipping Denali altogether if a better plan warrants). Thank you!!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

The Denali Highway is mostly gravel. You don’t “need” a jeep but it might be the only rental approved option. And the heavier tires are probably a better idea.

I may be missing something. Are you trying to choose between Denali Park and the road trip? Really depends on your goals. The road trip is a fun way to see more of Alaska. The Park is a place to see animals. That over simplifies obviously but those are the big questions I think.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Rental cars rates are crazy all over as people ramp up their travel.  On top of Alaska summer rates usually starting at $500-$600/week for a normal car.  Don’t cancel any reservation you already have unless you’re sure you have something better/cheaper.  And never trust Fox Rental, IME.

I go all over the state in a Corolla and a Prius.  Sure, if it’s actively snowing or I want to go far down a dirt road, I’ll bring the RAV4, but being alert and having some experience beats a Jeep on most roads.

And, if you get stuck?  Just wave a tow rope around while looking like an idiot.  The next person in a bigger vehicle will stop to help.

>”the only rental approved option”  Whenever I ignore the rental contract, I spring for $8 at the drive-through car wash or put 12 quarters into the self-service one.  Money well spent after I trail-angeled Manfred & Sons to the Brooks Range in a rental Camry (I was flying through Fairbanks for work):

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

So you are looking for something for just one day and one night? Or just one day? I forget — have you visited Denali before? If not, it’s worth dedicated time, imo. I wouldn’t skip it. On your way from Anchorage to Denali, you could drive part of the Denali Highway and camp out there somewhere for the night. It can be pretty desolate out there, but since you’ve just come from Gates, maybe you don’t need so much solitude. Then head back and head up to Denali National Park.

Have you been to Talkeetna? Tourist mecca, but it can be fun. Definitely the beaten path.

You could pick up your car, and head to Girdwood and hike up to Crow Pass as a day hike. Then return and head north. Or stop at Denali State Park on your way north, camp at Kesugi Ken and just do some small hikes from there.

Unless you want to do a lot of driving, those are the closest places I can think of.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools