Topic

Air Travel with a GG Mariposa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Air Travel with a GG Mariposa

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Anyone had an issue with TSA and the aluminum stay? Considering using my pack as the carry on for a September trip. I hate removing the stay, but if I need to I figured I could do it.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

You should be OK as that stay is not longer than 22″ which is the limit.  Measure it to be sure.

Kenneth Keating
    BPL Member

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

I’ve taken mine in numerous airlines, no problems yet.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Ok, appreciate the input.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you go frame-less and don’t pack it crazy full, you can squeeze it into smaller “test boxes.” TSA isn’t so much the problem as gate crews on a full international flight trying to reduce overhead luggage.. You can get all the way to the gate and have the crew spoil your carry-on plans. Maximum weight and size varies by airline, so study up. Domestic flights seem looser on the sizes.

If you can gate check an offending bag so they have it waiting for you at the gate when you get off, it is less of a concern. We have a trip coming up with just an hour leeway between connecting flights and I want all my stuff in the cabin in case the times get too close.

Have a backup plan to be ready to immediately empty your more fragile and precious gear (cameras, tablet, etc) into a small day pack or other small carry-on if you have to check the big bag. I usually have one maximum size carry on plus an allowed “personal bag” anyway. If weight is close, put the dense stuff like electronics in the personal bag. When I have had my big bag weighed to check compliance, no one has wanted to weigh the 15 liter pack I used as a “personal bag” (whew).

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

I have a 1 hour transfer window. I would love to take the Mariposa as the carry on with a tent, sleeping bag, etc…The first night we are planning to stay in a campground so as long as I can sleep I should have my gear by the time we go backpacking. Just wasn’t sure about stay.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

You could UPS it to a friend in the area or USPS to yourself, General Delivery.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Absolutely thought about sending it to a friend in Bozeman.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I work for an airline. I doubt you will see an issue. You can take it into the airport and ask.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

John, thanks. I live an hour from my airport. So I won’t make it before my trip.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Outbound, i have things which are verbotten in carryon, so check full pack /food in thrift duffel.   Carry on $$$ gear in small duffel. Throw these duffel away, leave at hostel, etc

Homebound, i put stay, poles, most gear in small 22″duffel and check, carry on frameless pack with $$$ gear. Get duffel at thrift/walmart. Use for next outbound trip.

I end up on very small regional planes, 3 seats across. Where most carryon have to be checked at gate.  Never had issue this way.  Dont ever want surprises personally.  Depends on size planes though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools