Topic

AHHHHH WHAT TENT!? Duomid? Mids at all?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AHHHHH WHAT TENT!? Duomid? Mids at all?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Hey Folks,

I’m trying to decide on what tent to keep for 3+ season use in the Sierra (up high hopefully) and Central Coast of CA.  I few weeks ago I tried out a TarpTent Bowfin 1. The design was totally awesome, just too snug and I thought the 2p version was to too large and heavy for just me, for me so I returned it.  I’ve always wanted a Duomid with a solomid XL inner, so ordered one and finally got it last week.  Then I SCORED a BPWD Luna 2  with dual doors in green cuben and a Katabatic Bivy for very very cheap. I haven’t used either mid in the wild and am just not sure I’m a mid guy yet. A buddy just got a Copper Spur Platinum and the simplicity and completeness system of that is appealing.

Things that important to me are:

Low fuss factor in setup

Decent space for 1+

Reasonable weight

Low packed volume

Duomid Pros:

Top quality craftsmanship

New Pro Silnylon is suppose to have less stretch, great waterproofness (Both pro/con)

Hopefully very durable

Very packable

Great color- gray

Currently returnable

Pretty light: 20oz (factory seam sealed and fancy guylines) + 11.6oz for Solo XL inner

Inner works with no mods

Duomids Cons:

Expensive with all options- $465

Only one door

Silnylon (both pro and con)

Luna 2 Pros:

Cheap way to experiment with Mids

Cuben (First Cuben shelter)- waterproof, non absorbent, strong

Really light (17oz)

Dual Doors

Luna2 Cons:

Not as packable as Sil Duomid

So-So craftmanship

Color not as nice as Duomid

Needs mods for inner

Options:

Keep Duomid w/ inner

Keep Luna 2 and inner

Get conventional tent  BA Copper Spur ( Platinum, or HV UL1)

Take a cruise

Any thoughts?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Definitely a dizzying amount of choices these days!

I hike in the exact same locales as you, and I think that either shelter would do just fine.

I’d go with the Luna 2, because of the 2 doors and lower weight. Adding stick-on mitten hooks or loops to attach the inner to (or bivy) would be easy and affordable – ZPacks sells pre-made loops that would be perfect. Note that with the 2 door setup, you might want an inner with 2 doors also.

Try the Luna out with the bivy and inner net if possible. I’m still torn on the bug bivy vs inner net battle after LOTS of experimentation :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You mention fuss factor. I haven’t found anything easier to set up tha a Duomid except maybe a hammock with an asym tarp.

I like my Duomid a lot but I’ve been using it for two people in bivies when we want some weather protection. I love the mid in this application.

I’ve got a Solomid XL inner as well but haven’t spent a night in it yet. It seems great in the yard. This setup is heavier and bulkier than I’ve been carrying over the last year or two but my baseweight is still be in the 8# range with it so I’m not really worried about it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools