Topic

Agressive reCaptcha On Posting – Very Offputting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports Agressive reCaptcha On Posting – Very Offputting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Since the upgrade, every time I post I’m being required to complete two screens of image identification.

The images are so grainy it’s almost impossible to complete the test accurately – it really is very intrusive.

This is irritating, and seems entirely over the top, considering the nature of the site and the membership.

I’m a paid-up, logged-in member – why should I be subjected to that?

I participate in a number of other forums that don’t seem to feel the need to subject their users to this – and many of them are public-facing and don’t require login.

I’m a developer, and am pretty confident I’m posting from a clean PC and IP.

Treating members as potential criminals surely isn’t the best way to foster a healthy relationship…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Agree…so vehemently.  I don’t have a problem with most implementations of CAPTCHA, but this one it a total bugger.  My eyesight is good and on a 27″ screen it is very difficult to identify the required object(s).  I think the selection of photos is very badly done.  Some are so oddly cropped that you have really study them to see if there is “a boat” in the picture.

And why 2 sequential rounds of CAPTCHA?  Just overly intrusive and unnecessary IMO.

Edit: So I was required to complete a CAPTCHA for a previous post, but not this one.  Could the requirement be tied to your session?

Edit 2: Logged out and back in and was not “tested”, so maybe not tied to session?

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Sounds like something a robot would say.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Yes, we are well aware of this, and hope to have that resolved first thing Tuesday.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Same here.  I completed a nice post with intricate detail and included a pic and then got swamped with the captcha and bailed out of frustration and of course my carefully worded post was gone.  Of course oddly this post shows up without captcha . . .

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have not been able to determine what causes CAPTCHA to trigger.  It almost seems random, but when it does trigger…pain and suffering if guaranteed.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

We’ve made some changes here, I’m curious to see if anyone is experiencing fewer or no reCaptcha challenges. Please report back here.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Is anyone still experiencing this? We made some big changes here and I’m hoping no one is getting reCaptcha’d for routine forum posts now.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Have not seen a Captcha for a week or so…

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Yup – seems to be fixed. Haven’t seen the nasty beastie for the last few posts…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools