Topic

Agencies with a sense of humor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Agencies with a sense of humor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Check out this story from the Guardian about how government agencies in the US are using social media to really communicate with their audience. And laughed out loud at some of the postings!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jan/09/wildlife-department-twitter-oklahoma-washington

We need of this kind of thing–including government employees sharing their sense of humor.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

For a few years I wrote social media posts for a government agency. Humor was frowned upon, and seemingly uncontroversial topics would suddenly be off limits. Never explicitly – approval just never came back, or a proposed post didn’t appear.

So enjoy government-posted humor while you can. Sooner or later someone will object, and the doors could slam shut for a long time.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not sure how long ago you wrote the posts Rex, but I think things are quite different now (as the article shows). There can also be a big difference between the fed and state governments in how much they allow humor and such.

I enjoyed the article Paul, thanks for sharing. It’s nice to see some bureaucrats understand that buttoned up posts don’t get much traction, which means the message isn’t getting out.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I agree, Doug.  Good fun, and a good way to get people to hear the message.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

Speaking of governmental humor, it might be worth noting that DOJ has a whole office whose name has been made into something of a joke. They have the “Office of Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering, and Tracking”, which they call “SMART”, but could also be read “O SO SMART”.

I want to give a fist-bump to the creative bureaucrat that came up with that one.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

In the late 1980s, in California, “Leaking Underground Storage Tanks” became “Leaking Underground Fuel Tanks” to deal with the obvious acronym problem.   Before the change, the program’s General Operational Director had the coolest title on his office door:

LUST
    GOD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools