Topic

Aftermarket DWR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Aftermarket DWR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

There have been some really outstanding gear review articles as of late from the BPL staff. Additionally there is a high level of expertise from folks discussing hydrostatic head, fabric calendering, air permeability, etc.

Is there a similar comprehensive review of the various aftermarket DWR applications? I searched and got lots of relatively dated and opinion-based discussions.

Have I missed something better?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

There was a recent thread about the chemicals used to make fabrics DWR.  This can affect workers in the manufacturing process, but there was also an implication that they affect the end-users – us.  I think the acronym for the chemical is PFOA, and it is a dangerous carcinogen.  So will be thowing out a cupboard full of DWR sprays.  Not a problem, because the DWR treatments on Patagonia shells I’ve used have lasted the life of the garment – 10 years give or take, but don’t wash them.  After all, they are just used in the pouring rain, and I don’t perspire much as others do.  If I did, would make one of Roger Caffin’s ponchos modified for BP, and use that.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the response. Ugh. I do sweat, profusely. It can be 20 degrees out with a minimum base layer and a Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoodie or a rain shell and I soak with exertion.

I do have a Packa, which is similar to Roger’s creation that I’ll try. And I have had success (east and west coast) with the umbrella.

It just seems a shame we aren’t doing better with the dwr.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

if you have a base layer under your WPB rain jacket, it will absorb most of the body oils which is what damages the membrane.  Wash your base layer after every trip : )  You don’t have to wash the jacket.

Dirt on the outside will reduce DWR performance but you can probably just hose it off occasionally?

Is it possible to apply PFOA without injuring workers?  The machine that applies it would have to be enclosed.  Capture any output.  Once the DWR has been applied and fabric is dry, does the PFOA still come off and injure people or creatures?  I wouldn’t want to hurt people/creatures but I wouldn’t mind paying more for the proper equipment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools