Topic

Advice/Resources for Competent Intermediate Hikers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Advice/Resources for Competent Intermediate Hikers?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John M
    Spectator

@callmemrpig

For context, I classify myself as a competent, intermediate outdoorsman looking to take skills to the next level. I could continue on with my current skill set just fine, yet I thoroughly enjoy the skills and art of backpacking and I’m sure there are plenty of things that I don’t know.

Does anyone have any advice or resources that you would give to an intermediate person?

There’s a lot of content out there for beginners but I struggle to find more advanced content.

All recommended books, podcasts, youtube videos, or advice welcome.

Thanks!

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Off the top of my head, I’d say the best thing you can do is just backpack as much as possible and find out what type of trips bring you the most joy and prioritize those. You’ll quickly recognize the skills that you’ll need to develop or improve to enjoy those trips and through practice you’ll get “better”.

So I’d say start with a bit of reflection on what you’re trying to improve at and why.

Do you feel tired and physically worn-out at the end of a day of hiking and know you could be in better shape and thus enjoy it more? Then work on fitness.

Feel tired at the end of the day but in a good way and feel like you just didn’t see enough and want to hike more miles? Then I guess plan harder trips and focus on fitness, lightening you pack so you don’t feel worn out if you hike 25% further.

Like the solitude and scenery but find most places you’re backpacking are too-crowded for your taste? Work on trip planning and cross-country routes, where you might lose some of the crowds.

Tired of eating the same meals over and over? Focus on recipes and meal planning.

Wanting to do harder peaks that aren’t just walk-ups and scrambles? Read up on mountaineering/climbing and get involved with groups to help you build those skills.

I’m sure you get the picture by now : )

To be honest, I feel like once you reach the intermediate level of backpacking you’re in a great place. Backpacking can have a steep learning curve, but it ends up at beautiful and rewarding plateau that you can hike on forever.

Once I developed a solid foundation of backpacking skills, I basically just pivoted to focusing on figuring out how to do the trips I most enjoyed as often as possible. For better or for worse, I haven’t focused on “skills” in general in years . . . I’ve certainly learned new skills that have helped me with enjoying trips in different conditions, but I learned those skills only because I needed them for the trip. For some of the trips that I didn’t enjoy that much and likely wouldn’t repeat, I don’t find any need to try and learn related skills or keep those sharp.

Once you learn the skills to be safe and to have as minimal impact as possible, just focus on maximizing comfort and enjoyment. For some people that will be developing a fitness routine to do 25-mile days easily and learning how to pitch a 5′ by 7′ tarp to provide adequate storm coverage, for others it will be figuring out which wine to pack in that will pair best with the filet mignon they’re grilling on the first night.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I think @markweth nailed it.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

If you’re serious about “improving” your skills, you could look at NOLS–they teach skills and theory both, and are very good at it.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I would agree that Mark pretty much hit the nail on the head as to basic thinking but there are resources like Townsend’s Advanced Backpacking, Lichter’s Trail Tested and Lichter and Forry’s Ultralight Winter Travel books.  Most of these are taking the intermediate skills towards longer and more difficult trips.  Many of the thru hiking communities sites and podcasts are along those lines too, you just have to wade through a bunch of junk to find the good ones.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I never though of backpacking as the kind of thing where you take lessons until you gain mastery of the skill. It’s just taking a walk that lasts longer than a day. If it is more than that, then it’s mountaineering or rock climbing. I suppose the only real skill to apply ordinary backpacking would be orienteering, but a lot can be done without that.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’d look into Backpacking Light. I hear it’s a pretty good resource. ;)  Seriously, I do think this site has a lot of good info. Browse around the forums on a regular basis. And then get outside a lot.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+ 1 to what Diane said.

I think the basic challenge is not get too wrapped up in work and to get out in the outdoors, and if needed take the family with you.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

John M
    Spectator

@callmemrpig

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate all of the advice. @markweth, your post needs to be an article! Thank you.

Here are some of my main takeaways:

• Start doing some weighted vest training on difficult terrain or steps
    • Recently applied for local SAR team (goal I’ve had for awhile)
    • Get more efficient at having a “go bag” system for my family so there is less friction to take the family on trips throughout the year
    • Get better at trip planning and go off trail more
      • take Skurka’s trip planning course
      • save $$$ (ouch) for a guided expedition
    • Read some books
      • Wilderness First Responder
      • Backcountry Ski Book
      • Ultralight Winter Travel
      • Advanced Backpacker
    • Start an anonymous blog to codify the knowledge from all of the above.
    • Remember that all of the above is just a means to an end, and that the end goal for me is to simply go out and enjoy the outdoors more.

I agree that backpacking is not something you need to take a course on. With my work schedule, I can only do a few multi day trips throughout the year, and it’s very important to me that I think about systems, gear and setup, etc very little while I’m out there so I can focus more on enjoying nature.

Thank you all again for taking the time out of your days to post advice! Extremely helpful.

Cheers,

-John

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

“it’s very important to me that I think about systems, gear and setup, etc very little while I’m out there so I can focus more on enjoying nature.”

WOW!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools