Topic

Advice Please: ULA Catalyst or Circuit for BV 500

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice Please: ULA Catalyst or Circuit for BV 500

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

I will be hiking for 7 days, 11 lb. base wt., carrying a BV 500, and unsure if the Circuit will hold the BV 500 and if so, will it poke into my back. The Catalyst seems like it will hold the BV 500 without problems, but otherwise, I do not need such a large pack.

Thanks,

Lowell

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

I carried a BV500 in a Circuit on a 10 day trip last summer.  The BV500 fit vertically in the pack, but not horizontally.  It was the most comfortable if I put the BV500 off to one side (not in the middle).  Then I balanced the pack by putting my cook kit, fuel, first aid kit, toiletry kit, etc. next to the BV500.  It was actually quite balanced and comfortable.  I also put my thin (1/8 inch) foam sit pad between the BV500 and my back.

When I tried hiking with the BV500 in the middle of the pack, it did poke into my back.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve carried a BV500 in a Catalyst, it swallows it easily, horizontal or vertical. I’ve seen one carried in a Circuit; as Sharon says, it will only fit vertically.

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I carried a BV500 vertically in my Ohm for a 7 day trip last year and managed to make it comfortable. So the smaller of those two should probably be fine.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I assume you don’t want to keep your food in a bag during the hike and carry an empty can under the strap up top?

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Correct, I do not want to carry the BV up top.

Thanks all for the feedback. Based on your comments I decided on the Elemental Horizons Kalais

Lowell

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

Great choice!  When I returned from the previously mentioned 10 day trip, I set out in search of a pack that would do a better job of transmitting the weight of the pack to my hips.  I settled on the women’s version of the Elemental Horizons Kalais.  I’ve been out on a few shorter trips with it.  It carries a BV500 comfortably (vertically), and it does a great job of transmitting weight to my hips.  I can’t recommend it enough.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools