Topic

Advice on choosing a mid tarp for a tall camper in the PNW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice on choosing a mid tarp for a tall camper in the PNW

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’m narrowing down a modular solo shelter system for 4 season use here in the PNW. BC coast specifically. Uses include multi day hikes along the ocean, West Coast Trail for example, summer and winter alpine traverses in the Coast mountains, and hut to hut running trips. The big use will be in West Coast days of endless rain and during the winter as a “roof” over a dug out sleeping pit.

I currently use a MLD Superlite Bivy large and 8’x10’ tarp, but am looking for a more enclosed, livable, tarp shelter for extended stormy conditions and winter ski touring.

The crux is that I’m 6”4’ and using a 6”6’ sleeping bag and Xtherma Max large pad from fall to spring. This limits my shelter choice significantly due to the sloping foot and head walls of most tarp shelters contacting my bag and bivy.

I’m looking at the following tarps as they should offer enough length to accommodate me and most of the features that I want. I’ve looked over the many photos from Solomid XL and Duomid users regarding clearance one the side walls, but I’m still getting mixed results to if its possible to fit.

Possibilities:

Sierra Designs High Route FL:
    $300
    Minimum Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz / 1.05 kg (Tarp and Inner)
    Fly only 21.4 oz
    Fly is 48” x 108” x 48”    W x L x H
    Nest is 30” x 90” x 43”

Pros:
    – Steep walls and long length should provide ample room to sleep without touching the walls.
    – Lots of usable headroom.
    – Ability to “pitch” doors during periods of sustained rain for increased ventilation and views
    – Cross ventilation control
    – No poles in the shelter’s living space

Cons:
    – Weight, even just for the tarp
    – Wind resistance is compromised by 2 vertical walls.
    – Colour is not “stealthily”.
    – Smaller footprint to dig out a winter shelter underneath.

MLD Solomid XL
    $265
    17oz Silnylon
    54” x 112” x 54” W x L x H

Pros:
    – Low weight and pack size
    – Ease of pitch
    – Wind resistance
    – I want a classic mid, lets be honest

Cons:
    – Sloping walls might still contact sleeping bag? Reviews seemed to be mixed for tall folks
    – Rain enters shelter when the doors are open
    – Reduced ventilation in humid conditions
    – Pole in the shelters living space

Duomid 5.5 x 9 (2017)
    $265
    18oz Silnylon
    66” x 110” x 56” W x L x H

Pros:
    – More interior livable space over the Solomid XL
    – Low weight and pack size.
    – Ease of pitch.
    – Wind resistance
    – More space to dig down for shelter in winter.

Cons:
    – Larger foot print, harder to fit in small camp spots
    – Sloping walls still a possible issue?
    – Rain enters shelter when doors open.
    – Reduced ventilation in humid conditions
    – Pole in the shelters living space

A shelter I may be missing?

Thoughts? I’m thinking if can I fit inside the Solomid XL and Duomid without touching the walls, does the High Route offer that much more usable, livable space to offset the increased weight and reduced storm worthiness?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

zPacks Duplex tarp or tent (with the tent you could leave the bivy at home). With the free-standing option it’d be a breeze to set up in winter.

Tarptent Notch, perhaps, might be worth checking out as well.

Both of the above have double doors, which is great for ventilation.

Also, check with Ken T. He’s a tall (ugly too, but that doesn’t matter for your interests) guy who has/had a Solomid XL, so he might have some insight on sloping walls hitting head/bag.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Maybe add to the list SMD Haven tarp? Being able to dig out space in the winter precludes a tent or tarptent with a floor, however you can add the Haven Net Tent to the tarp or use a bug bivy.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

NM

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

I briefly looked at the Duplex and Haven earlier on, but I think I’ll look again. Thanks for the tip. The modularity of both I like. The Duplex tarp is pushing the budget as it is, so the Haven is more likely . The possibility of a inner down the road for it too is tempting for when hiking with a partner.

My concern with the Haven is that it might be too short. Any tall folk have experience with it, or even with the Duplex for that matter?

It also seems like mids might not be for me with my height, especially as there would be even less headroom compared to a 2 pole tarp.

Lawrence A
    BPL Member

@rbps8

I thought the Solomid XL’s asymmetrical design would prevent rain from soaking your stuff between entry/exit?

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

Lawrence – I think thats the idea, but it would only work for me if I’m able to sleep parallel with the back wall. Still not sure about the sloping sidewalls on the Solomid XL.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Considered a trailstar?

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

Ben –  I have, however the large footprint and still sloping walls offer no huge advantages over a mid for me. The modularity is great thought!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

It works well for me.  As a tall hiker, it has loads of room, even roomy for 2.  That makes the sloped walls a non-issue.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I set up the High Route 1 and the DuoMid XL side by side in my yard, and while the DuoMid XL definitely protects a bigger area, the usable space, that wasn’t impinged by sidewalls was greater in the High Route. DuoMid XL definitely more spacious right in the middle, but the HighRoute more usable volume, at least for 1 person in my opinion. Kind of a toss up for 1, but I decided I liked more efficient footprint of HighRoute better. Will test in the woods this spring and summer and report back.

Guess it also depends whether you want to dig a bigger or smaller snow pit.

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

John – You are amazing, thank you for setting them both up and sharing your findings. I mocked out the shapes of the Solomid XL and High Route 1 this afternoon and have to agree with what you said. Interior space in the HR1 feels way more usable, and with the ability to pitch the doors in calm conditions I feel its much more livable overall. The sloping walls on the Solomid XL were too close for comfort too with a winter bag. The smaller foot print on the HR1 only increase the number of places I can pitch it and for the winter I can always bring my flat tarp if I really want to dig a deep and wide pit.

The increased weight of the HR1 compared to a duomid or haven tarp will be forgotten about when I’m hunkered down during prolonged rain storms. And as tempting as the Duplex tarp is, just too pricey. I think I might just choose the High Route 1, almost!

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Pics?

Stefan F
    BPL Member

@stefanf

Well, time for an update!

I ended up getting the High Route 1 FL a couple weeks ago and took it on 4 night trip on the Juan de Fuca trail recently. It performed great in winds off the ocean, prolonged torrential rain at night and the huge interior living space was amazing. It easily accommodated my 6’4″ height when sleeping in a large MLD Superlight Bivy with a winter pad and sleeping bag. No issues with touching the ends of the tarp. Still left plenty of room for my backpack and gear, even when the doors were not porched.

Yes its not the lightest shelter around, (Fly w/ mods = 655g, 6 MSR groundhogs + 2 DAC = 105g, MLD bivy = 210g) TOTAL = 970g but the modularity, livability in really bad conditions and 3+ season usage are worth it for me.

Happy to answer any questions any of you may have.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools