Topic

Advice needed about Vargo BOT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice needed about Vargo BOT

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Locale: Kootenays

Looking for folks who have experience using a Vargo BOT.

I am considering purchasing one.

My use of it would be:

As a cooking pot heated by isobutane, white gas and esbit.

As a water bottle for normal drinking.

As a hot water bottle that can hold boiling hot water and be put inside a sleeping bag overnight. I would use a sock to cover it.

my concerns are:

the durability of the seal

the durability of the threads

how the BOT would handle white gas

And last but not least the price.

Thanks I’m advance for your help.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I have the bot but I’m using it mostly just as a pot, with a light flat lid.

It works with any stove including gas, no problem here.

As a water bottle, I’d use it only as a backup extra capacity. And always in an external pocket. A normal bottle is easier to handle. And, most importantly, a simple plastic bottle of the same capacity can be lighter than the lid of the bot.

I won’t trust it enough to put it into a sleeping bag. The threads require a delicate balance between tightening enough and overtightening when they pop open.

I got mine for a good price long time ago, but i won’t buy it again even at such a discount. A lighter pot of the same capacity and a dedicated water bottle are much cheaper, lighter, and better working solution.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

As a hot water bottle or hot water “storage” device (e.g., make a pot of coffee and carry it with you on the trail) – I’m not afraid of it leaking (it has a robust silicone seal that should last a very long time).

But, when the hot water cools, it will create a strong vacuum and you won’t be able to unscrew the lid. You can use a knife or other stiff, thin object to crack the lid rim to break the seal, but at some point, if you repeat that over and over and over, you may do damage to the pot (that’s only conjecture on my part, I’m not saying it *will* happen).

Practice breaking the vacuum at home first – it’s disconcerting to experience this for the first time on the trail!

I’ve had the Bot 700 in my kit for the past 3 years and it’s one of my favorite pieces of gear. I bought it with the same ideas you have, and use it regularly for water storage and cold soaking in addition to cooking with all types of fuel.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Ryan what would you consider it’s most useful feature of this? As a non-plastic container and it’s ability to cold soak?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m not an exclusive cold-soaker. I like some hot, some cold meals. And coffee and tea (hot). So I’d like to have both functions. No sense carrying a pot and a cold-soak plastic jar when this can do both.

Plus, the plastic jars get janky, this is much easier to clean.

I also use it as a secondary water container if I’m going “minimalist” and just taking along, say, one small water bottle.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks Ryan.

Kyler B
    BPL Member

@live4backcountry09

Locale: Kootenays

Thanks everyone! I’m going to pass on the BOT. Doesn’t quite fit my needs. I feel like it’s almost there.

Too bad the the threads and seals don’t work as well as say a nalgene. I thought for the price that maybe they would but hey I don’t know anything about manufacturing these kinds of things so maybe it is a good value.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have a 17 oz HDPE plastic screwtop jar. HDPE can handle hot or cold water. I tested the jar and it seals really well. If I opt to go without a stove, I can use it for cold soaked foods and it would be the only thing I need. If I bring a stove and a small titanium cup to heat water in, then I can use the jar for hot cozy cooking and the titanium cup for a hot drink with my meal. Almost equivalent to your Vargo BOT idea.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

The threads and seals work perfectly! The threads in particular, in my opinion, are over-built.

The vacuum issue Ryan is talking about isn’t because the threads and seals are poor. If they were, it wouldn’t occur! Its basically because the pressure changes with changing temperature, and, the pot is so strong that it doesn’t flex like a plastic bottle does. Going from hot to cold, this basically sucks the lid on tight! It’s the opposite to a durability problem.

I wedge the handle end of my Ti spoon in to break the seal. Works fine. By handle is a bit bent. But it still works as a spoon bent, or not…

The problem doesn’t happen to me that often, as I don’t leave it screwed up tight with liquids in overnight. I cold soak my morning oats, but usually I invert the lid for that, or I loosely screw it on.

Agree not to use it as a primary bottle. But like Ryan says, a backup, or some extra capacity for a longer water stretch.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I read somewhere that a S2S X-mug would fit over a SP 700 pot. I happened to have both, so I tried it and it does seem to seal. One potential advantage is that air pressure differentials might be less of a problem.

Haven’t tried cold-soaking anything in it or using the mug as a lid while cooking, but I suspect this setup would damage the mug sooner or later. Might be a lower-cost way to try out the concept.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I’ve owned one… twice. Sold it both times. I wanted to like it. But the reality for me is, other than its cold soaking capability that i don’t even use, the Bot is a heavier than necessary pot or water bottle.

In practice the bottle feature didn’t play out because I seldom boil that much water, so I had to drink or waste water often.

Lots of cool factor though!

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Maybe turn the BOT upside down for a time.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. the BOT. I have a love – hate relationship with it. Had it.. used it once or twice.. sold it. Then a year or so later decided I wanted to give it another shot. I will use it in the late fall early winter when the night time and early morning temperature is very cold. Not yet below freezing with snow and ice or single digit temperatures.. but COLD enough where I enjoy some hot tea or hot coffee with melted milky way snack size bars in it. So I there for need more water to boil then my usual 400 ml or 500 ml for dinner. So the 1 L Bott will come out. Enough for me to make my meal and have about 2 cups or so leftover for my hot drink.. which I will drink directly from the BOT. Even some soup if I desire.  I use a warm sack cozy as the carry sack and for insulation for my drink. The lid can screw on, very softly so I can get it open without prying the side. I use it with my Soto windmaster or i can also put it on open fire if needed. Hopefully, for now, this will work.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I love  the idea of the screw on lid, but the thing pretty much weighs as much as my whole cooking kit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools