Topic

Advice for Ausangate Circuit, Peru

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Advice for Ausangate Circuit, Peru

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leap Frog
    BPL Member

@leapfrog1

This might be a long shot, but I’ll throw the question out since this community was so helpful in planning my trip to the Wind River Range last summer.

I’m planning on hiking the Ausangate (Auzangate) circuit in Peru this summer. Any advice, ideas, or comments are welcome. I’ve performed a google search of this site for the circuit, but haven’t found much of substance.

I’ve found a few other resources online, but not much specifically related to an ultralight approach to the hike. Most hikers use porters, apparently.

I’ve been building a route map with Caltopo. It’s a great tool, but not quite as helpful in this part of the world (I’m especially missing the detail of the USGS quads!). Printing high-resolution route maps without the standard base layers has been challenging.

Thanks.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I’m heading out on the Huayhuash Circuit SOON.  I also looked at doing the Ausangate Circuit, but I wanted something longer.

I originally wanted to go without a guide/mule, but the advice I received on BPL from people who had been to the region, plus the stuff I saw on line, combined to make me re-think my plan.  (Specifically, one guy who was robbed, and the Bike Magazine film of mountain bikers who had someone put a loaded gun to their heads – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upZJpGrppJA&t=6s&index=8&list=WL)

My Spanish is also terrible, which wouldn’t help…so I found a LOCAL guide who keeps 100% of the money and is willing to do a “low frills” trip, I went with it.  You might find something similar, if you research carefully.

Talk to the Explorer’s Club in Cusco, and poke around beforehand via google search for stuff like this (which also mentions the possibility of being robbed):  https://besthike.com/s-america/central-andes/ausangate-circuit/.  Or this one, which looks helpful:  http://stingynomads.com/ausangate-trek-without-guide/.

I’m sure you can do it yourself (many have); just keep your wits about you.

Leap Frog
    BPL Member

@leapfrog1

Valerie – Yes, I had looked at the Huayhuash as well, and it seems that safety is a bit more of a concern in that area. I’ll be hiking with another guy, who has a lot of hiking experience in the area and lives in Lima, so that should help with security concerns in Ausangate as well.

Enjoy your trip, and let me know if you prepare a trip report! Thanks again.

WA
    BPL Member

@lightprints

We’re also planning on doing Ausangate unguided. How was it in terms of temperature and precipitation? What gear did you bring, and would you recommend any changes?

Hope you guys had a great trek!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

WA  here is the thread where Leap Frog talks a bit about his trip AUSANGATE CIRCUIT JULY 2017 , he said he used the same gear he used on his Wind River trip he used on that trip and his gear spread sheat can be found on this thread by him GEAR LIST FOR WIND RIVER RANGE IN SEPTEMBER .

Leap Frog
    BPL Member

@leapfrog1

WA – It is a great hike. I’d highly recommend it. Link is correct that the information I provided in my post-trip report is probably the best source. I believe temperature (and certainly precipitation) can very based on the time of year you visit.

The gear list from the Wind River Range is still accurate. Make sure you bring along some local currency to pay for a dip in the hot springs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools