Topic

Adjustable Torso Kids Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adjustable Torso Kids Pack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Need to buy a kids backpack.

As far as I can tell the only options in the 30-40L, Adjustable Torso market are

Osprey Ace

REI Tarn

Fox 30/40

All of these are heavier and more padded than my Circuit.  I was looking on ULAs website and it looks like I just missed the clearance on the kids circuits and they don’t appear to have them on their website anymore.

What are people doing for their kids.  My daughter is 10 and would like to buy one pack that will work until she is 16ish and then can buy her own pack for future.

Her max weight last year was 10lbs this year probably about 15 lbs for her but would like the pack capable of doing 25 or so comfortably for when I eventually unload more food into her pack.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

They still have the kids circuit, it’s an option under the size dropdown for the circuit.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Kid’s Circuit seems like a great option.

My son put 500+ miles on his Ace 48 (now an Ace 49?) including the JMT with a loaded BV500. I’m not a huge Osprey fan in general but the pack served him well for several years and was tough as nails despite the stretch side pockets. He moved on briefly to a ULA Ohm 2.0 but now seems to prefer borrowing my GG Kumo.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Give Chris McMaster is a great person to work with (owner): [email protected] OR 435-753-5191

I have one of the first Adjustable Circuit packs he made for my 4 granddaughters.  Pack weight ~ 35oz and the girls are in the age range 13 – 16. .No issue with them carrying weights up to 21 lbs.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

The REI pack and the kids’ Osprey packs are great.  You might also look at the Gregory Wander 50 (and Wander 70 maybe, tho that’s pretty big).  The torso adjustment spans quite a wide range, from 13-18″, and your daughter is likely to have a torso in the 15-16″ range when she reaches her mid-teens.  I’ve had really good luck fitting kids comfortably in that pack.

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

My sons have been using Exped Lightning’s. Available in 45 or 60 L. Super easy to adjust, and they can use them until the wear them out, and handle 40 lb loads well (not that they’ve ever carried that much in them). I borrowed one for a trip and was shocked at how comfy the belt was.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks for the extra options, and Thanks Ken for the additional Circuit info.

If I bought the arc scout it would mean I’d have to buy myself an arc blast so that doesn’t work out great economically.

I hadn’t considered the Exped packs so will take a look at them.

I also was looking at the Gregory Maven 38L which run 13″ – 17″ which would work pretty good as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools