Topic

Adjustable kids pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adjustable kids pack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I’m planning on taking my 11  year old daughter backpacking this summer on a 3-4 day trip.  I’m trying to find a good pack for her that is adjustable and can grow with her.  I know ULA has an adjustable Circuit but I don’t want to spend that much until I know she likes it.  I’ve been looking at the Gregory Maven 45.  Does anyone have experience with this pack?  It’s heavier than I’d like but highly adjustable and I can get it for a good price.  Any other suggestions on packs to look at?  She’s 72 lbs, so I’m planning on keeping her total weight around 10 lbs.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

The lightest adjustable pack under $200 I know of  is the Granite Gear Blaze, particularly if you can apply a coupon–REI for example. I think the lightest adjustable would be Zpacks. At 10, my son was close to 5 ft, so we bought an Arc Haul size small at gear swap here. Expensive, but it should last into adulthood. And if he outgrows it, my wife or I can keep it.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Sorry. I misread the MSRP of the Blaze–$270 for the current version. So I guess with a 20% coupon would be close to $210.

One nice feature of the GG packs is the addition of the adjustable waist belt. Not sure whether other manufacturers offer a similar system.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Four of my granddaughter have used one of  the ULA Circuit Packs since they were first introduced by Chris McMaster Owner of Ultralight Adventure Equipment back in 2010. Never had any issues and the girls back then were in their early teens. If you need any help or questions Chris is open to that and replies rapidly. Cost in 2011 $200ea.
    ([email protected] )  435-753-5191
    ULA CIRCUIT
    TORSO SIZE: KIDS SIZE 12-18” ….. EASILY ADJUSTABLE

$255

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/circuit/

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Thanks for the suggestions.  The granite gear packs don’t adjust quite small enough for her torso length.  I ended up grabbing her an Osprey Ace for $100.  If she ends up liking it, I’ll probably get her something nicer/lighter like the Circuit or a Granite Gear pack when she’s a little bigger.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools