Topic

Adirondacks trip/gear report (September 2019)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
PostedOct 27, 2019 at 4:58 pm

This is about a month behind, but here’s my trip/gear report from late September.

The weather in the Adirondacks was a little unseasonably warm but not too hot (read: perfect).  Highs were around 70F and lows around 50F, which is a little warm for late September.  The weekend prior it was around 32 F with sleet on the high peaks.  We set up a base camp at Heart Lake and did a bunch of side trails (can’t remember all the peaks but we did Marcy).  After section hiking the AT through the Whites earlier this summer, I found the terrain to be moderately challenging (definitely less so than the Whites).

I had a chance to test out some gear on this trip. First, my Plexamid’s original stays had broken during my Wonderland Trail thru hike so this was a good chance to test out the newer, white plastic stays.  So far they are holding up and I appreciate the extra room that having the stays in provides (I had been using the shelter without stays at all).  I’ve since sold my Hexamid Solo and haven’t looked back.  The Hexamid Solo was my go-to shelter since around 2013 but the Plexamid simply provides more interior space, and in my experience less condensation as well.  With the Hexamid I used to get a good amount of water droplets on my sleeping bag due to the cramped space (even at 5’7″ my sleeping bag would often touch the side walls).  With the Plexamid I don’t have that problem at all.  Also, my Plexamid Beta V is almost 2 oz lighter than the Hexamid Solo (although some weight creep will occur with the new titanium stays which are slated to arrived soon from ZPacks).

Another gear item I tested out on this trip was a new camera/lens setup: Sony A6400 (APSC sensor) with Sony 24mm f/1.8 lens and Ultrapod II with quick release Arca mount.  The setup is light enough to be worn fairly comfortably on a Peak Design capture clip on my shoulder strap, although I don’t know if I would take it if big miles are a priority or if I’m doing a thru hike (20-25 miles a day consistently).  This trip was fairly laid back, so it wasn’t a problem.  I used the Rode Video Micro with the camera as well and was pretty happy with the audio quality.  It’s definitely not the most compact setup compared to my RX100VA with ND filter aftermarket attachment, but the quality is certainly a step up from the 1″ sensor.  Some day I may consider trying a Sony A7sii, but I’m not sure I want to spend the money or weight on full frame right now.  I would probably want a different system for carrying it (maybe a fanny pack or ZPacks FUPA or multipack?).  Anyway, here is a short video of my trip, so you can see what the A6400 is capable of.  I actually just sold the 24mm lens, as I find the Sigma f1.4 line to be a lot sharper.  I’m thinking of getting the Sigma 30mm f1.4 (I already have the Sigma 16mm f1.4 but it is too heavy). The Sony 24mm is not a bad lens, just a little tight for selfie shots on APSC and the Sigma is faster (and I think sharper).  Note that I’m mostly focused on video here.  Anyway, I’m curious to hear what setup you guys are using to capture video, and how you are carrying it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4Xk8Erw7M&t=2s

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Loading...