Topic

Adding velcro to pant bottom

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding velcro to pant bottom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I’ve purchased a few Wrangler nylon/spandex pants that have a regular bottom. I’d like to be able to add a velcro to the pant bottom so I could cinch it down when desired or leave it open in hot weather. Railriders has this feature on its Tradewinds pant which has the velcro cuff closure.

I don’t have a sewing machine. What is the most efficient and effective way to accomplish this myself or will I need to bring this to a tailor?  Do I need to cut the pants where it would fold over?

A tailor I’ll never be.

Men’s Tradewinds Pant | RailRiders

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Back in the dim dark ages of your great-grandparents, ladies were able to HAND-SEW at quite high speed and very elegantly. It is still possible to buy hand-sewing needles.

OK, some rough humour, but hand-sewing works just fine. Try it.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

they sell velcro with adhesive backing.  Tends not to stay real good.  You could add a hand stitch at each corner.

Put a rectangle on the outside of pants at bottom.  On the outside of your leg.  Then fold over the pants on top of the velcro to the desired tightness and note where that is.  Then put a rectangle of the opposite sex velcro there.

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

Kam snaps would work for this also.  No need for velcro or sewing.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Use bicycle cuff straps? Low gaiters would be the hiker’s solution.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

You could try what I do- I “blouse” the bottoms military style- tuck them into my socks. It’s great tick protection. To vent when hot, I’ll partially unzip the bottom of the pants from the sorts part- sort of works like pit zips on a jacket.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools