Topic

Adding Down to Box Baffled Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adding Down to Box Baffled Sleeping Bag

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tell me why this won’t work:

I have a box baffled MontBell sleeping bag that is 15 years old, but still an excellent 25 degree bag a hair under 2 pounds. When I hold it up to a light, there are definitely some sections that have very little down. If I don’t want to mess with baffles and existing seams, is there any reason simply cutting a 4″ long hole in each of those boxes, stuffing down in, and sewing it back up won’t work?

I’ve worked with down before. I’m confident I can keep the mess reasonable. Just wondering if there’s a better way to go about it than a super simple “cut-fill-close”. I’d like to distribute about 4 ounces of down among 6-8 boxes.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Opening up the seam that was used at the factory works out to be easier to resew

Jason F
    Spectator

@jsf80238gmail-com

My down bag has been losing feathers slowly over the years. I’m probably in the same position. Where does one buy down? I suppose it is cheaper than buying a new bag?

One concern I would have is “the factory” would know how much down goes in each section. I’d probably either not add enough or add so much that I’d be adding extra weight for no gain in loft.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools