Topic

Adding a big, long zipper to an existing pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding a big, long zipper to an existing pack

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

I want to convert an existing backpack into a panel loader (big U- zipper)

Cut the panel, trim, add a zipper.  Seems doable … except that without a super-long-arm sewing machine (or some kind of hanging arm) I’m not sure exactly how I’ll make it happen outside of hand-sewing it.  (Which is totally an option, but I’m looking to expand my technique with the machine if there’s a way.

I don’t really want to seam-rip it open, but maybe.

Maybe I build a jig and suspend the entire machine …

Has anyone solved this in an elegant way?

Thanks!

-mox

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I haven’t converted a top loader to a panel loader but….

Questions:

Does your pack have any kind of frame or a padded back panel?  (makes the project harder and calls for a different method)

Are you wanting to sew the existing top opening shut?  If yes, then that opens up (pun not intended) possibilities.

Do you want opposing zipper pulls?

Are you wanting a waterproof zipper?

Zippers are hard to sew on a curve because the stitch lines are on different radii.  Waterproof zippers are harder yet.  For instance, if the center line (cut line) of your ‘U’ follows a 9″ diameter, and your zipper stitch lines are 1/4″ from that, then the inboard zipper half stitch line follows an arc length of 13.35″ and the outboard zipper half stitch line follows an arc length of 14.92″.  My apologies if you are already familiar with this problem.

-Lance

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools