Topic

Add Straps to Flip Flops?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Add Straps to Flip Flops?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Has anyone added heel straps to flip flops? My Teva Katavi flip flops are my go to sandal and I would love to hike more in them but a heel strap would really make them that much better when going up and down hills.  Here is what they look like. Any ideas? 

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Brad what if you put a hole in the existing strap that you could loop some cord or a strap through.

Pardon the terrible drawing, but something like this?

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

That could work. It’s a thick material but maybe sew some type of nylon strap and put velcro on the ends so it could be adjusted? I would have to sew the velcro on as well. Not sure how it would feel rubbing on the heel. Or maybe something like this? 

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

To try it out you could loop the strap or tie some cord around instead of putting a hole through it.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I bet padded trekking pole hand staps would work well.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

JCH – Interesting idea. I have seen some DIY straps with neoprene on the inside for comfort here as well.

Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

There are many examples of DIY sandals you could get inspiration from. Try searching for “huaraches” too, or go to xeroshoes.com.

On one model I made, I used a fabric elastic exercise resistance band, simply knotted through large eyelets. One another one I used a piece of inner tube. Both worked well. Overall, I found that a large band was much mode confortable on the heel than a thin cord like the front straps I used on the sandals.

Looking at your model of sandals, it looks like you could easily punch the strap and add 2 eyelets, not the lighest solution, but easier than sewing thick fabric IMO.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks Pierre. The elastic material seams like a good idea. Having paracord tight enough to not slip off the heel may cause pain at the toe strap as it’s forcing it into the foot.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I once used my shoelaces as heel straps on a pair of flip-flops. Basically doing what Mike B’s picture shows but without punching any holes. I think I both wound the laces behind my heels and across over the top of my foot. It worked well enough to hike for 15 miles, or the rest of that day. I had really bad blisters on my toes that day.

Haiku
    BPL Member

@theworldwidewebster

When I hiked the AT I took a pair of hiker box flips, cut off the plastic thong thing (I ALWAYS get blisters between my toes) and used zpacks elastic cord to do a xero-shoes no-toe style lacing (like tevas).  I used these in camp and in showers (also 2 nasty water crossings).  They served their purpose for less than 3 oz total.  That being said they weren’t worth it for me to take with me on future trips.

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Locale: Central Cali

I switched to using sandals exclusively 10 years ago.  I hiked Mt. Whitney in sandals and run ultras.  here is a pic of what I use:

Ben S
    Spectator

@b3nsny4

Locale: Northern California

@tridrles49 – what is that? Looks nice!

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Those are sandals I make.  The pic is of sandals I first started making 10 years ago.  They look a little different now but same style.  They’re the BEST!

Ben S
    Spectator

@b3nsny4

Rad!  They look great.  Looks like cork, foam, rubber soles.  Is that neoprene under the adjustable strap?  How long are they lasting you?

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Ben… I have made them with EVA midsole, 2mm Vibram climbing sole and leather or cork top.  Yes cushioning under the adjustable strap is 3mm neoprene.  I’ve run a few ultra’s in them.  Milage… I measured once a few years ago and got 1500 miles out of a pair but… I have a pair now that I figure I’d just keep using them till they fall apart.  They are wearing out on the bottom ( I keep layering with LiquiSole) and the tops are wearing down to the EVA.

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

I would like to hike the TRT this summer and looks like there will still be snow so I have Neoprene booties and cleats to wear with my sandals… I’ll see how they do!  Ha!

Ben S
    Spectator

@b3nsny4

Awesome! Thanks for all the info.

Jasmine P
    BPL Member

@kinri

I know this reply is like 5 years too late, but it looks like there are companies that sell heel straps for your flip flops.

https://www.strip-straps.com

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools