Topic

Add loops to the sides of a quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Add loops to the sides of a quilt?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I bought a closeout Zenbivy sheet with down hood to try out. I would like to use it with a couple of quilts I already own. One is a Katabatic 30. Other is a MYOG climasheild quilt. I was going to buy the ZenBivy synthetic quilt as a topper, but they are pretty heavy. Anyway the loops should be up from the sides, and my MYOG Climashield quilt is one piece of material. I could slit the material and sew in loops to attach to the sheet, but not sure if I want to do that. Also, I really dont want to dissect my Katabatic quilt to add loops.

So, my question is, are there any tapes or tape pads that would hold a cord loop?

Thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

just sew the loop to the edge of the quilt?

sew through 5 layers – one end of loop – outside shell fabric – insulation – inside shell fabric – other end of loop

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I have considered that.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I would think tenacious tape circles with two holes melted in them would hold cord loops well, as they won’t be under a ton of tension (the wings on the ZenBivy sheet rise and fall as you move around). Alternatively, I have made a Ray-Way 2P quilt where you stabilize the insulation by sewing synthetic yarn loops with a large hand-sewing needle right through the shell and insulation; you could do something similar on your Climashield quilt but make the loops a little bigger to clip into the hooks.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Sounds good. Thanks

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I like Greg’s idea, or just sewing a very short grosgrain loop to the top of the quilt in the desired location, sewing through all 5 layers:  top of the grosgrain loop, bottom of the grosgrain loop, nylon shell of quilt, apex, bottom nylon of quilt.  Use a bar-tack stitch and I suspect it would be just fine.

Alternately, form the grosgrain into the shape of an Omega, and sew a bar-tack stitch through each leg of the grosgrain, through the quilt.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

I like Jeff’s idea better than mine :)

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

The clips on the Zenbivy sheet are for a cord. Not sure of the diameter yet.

ZB clip

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

I have a ZenBivy, so I tried a piece of 1/4″ grosgrain ribbon. It fits into the hooks, but doesn’t have that satisfying snap/lock into them like the appropriate sized cord would. So here’s a hybrid of Jeff’s and my ideas: Sew small squares of 3/4″ grosgrain ribbon through all layers of the quilt along 2 parallel sides. Then run cord through the channel between those two sew lines, and tie it in a small loop.

Teddy
    BPL Member

@bullhorn

Has anyone suceeded in sewing their loops onto their quilt?  Can u post a photo?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I sewed loops on my sleeping bag.
    https://youtu.be/aWEexcAvnJM  There’s not a close-up but it’s as simple as it looks. Grosgrain loops sewn right through the seam where the zipper is sewn in. Nothing opened up, just sewn right through the fabric, the down, and the edge of the zipper fabric. Took 15 minutes. Works great. Can easily seam-rip it out if I change my mine, no harm done.

Michael Glavin / Zenbivy
    BPL Member

@gmontlake

Locale: Owner, Zenbivy.com

Mike from Zenbivy here.

The best method I have seen to modify an existing quilt to use with a Zenbivy sheet is as follows:

Make the patch:

• Use a high quality 2mm cord, so it measures at least 1.8mm actual (there is a tool we use to measure this that you won’t have.  Bottom line:  if the cord is too small to “snap” into the hook, it can and probably will fall out.
    • cut a small slit into a round patch of tenacious tape and run a bight of cord into the slit to make the attachment loop.  A bight size on of about 1cm x 1cm x 1cm works best.
    • Before sticking the loop through the slit, pull 1/2 of the patch backer so that the extra cord on the inside lays on the sticky part of the patch and extends past the edge of the patch slightly on each side, then re-apply the backer.  Trim the cord to the edge of the patch so that there is no bubble made by the cord at the end of the patch when you apply it.
    • When applied, the patch sticks to the fabric and has the 2mm cord running the entire length of the patch, allowing you to patch with the cord inside the patch, but without any bubbles.

Attach the patches to your quilt:

• IMPORTANT:  DO NOT try to attach the cords to the edge of the quilt.  This will not work with a zenbivy sheet.  There is another thread on this site that explains the how and why behind that.   The loops need to be inside the edge of the quilt by at least 25cm so the quilt maintains a thermal seal with the mattress while clipped in.  If the loops are placed too close to the edge of the quilt, you will be able to push the quilt off the side of the mattress and create a cold spot.
    • Attach the loops 35cm from the top of the quilt, spaced at 22cm to match the distance between the hooks on the sheet.  You will need a total of 8 patches to make the conversion.
    • If you vary from these measurements, especially the distance from the top edge of the quilt to the first loop, BEWARE!  A different measurement MAY work better for you, but be sure you mock it up and test it first.

Depending on the width and the cut of your quilt, this should maximize the performance of the sheet.

Of course, you can also top-sew some loops in the correct locations if you have the tools and skill.  I have only made 1 of these patches to make sure it works, and have not tested this myself.  A customer told me this is how he did it and it is working well for him.  There may be, and probably are, better ways to do this…..good luck out there and thanks for your interest in Zenbivy!

Teddy
    BPL Member

@bullhorn

Thanks Mike!  This feels short of a Christmas miracle to get this type of detailed instruction on how to do this. Cant wait to try this!

Micahel C
    BPL Member

@danger-pudge

Howdy y’all!  I’m admittedly brand new around here but I’ve been diggin’ my Zenbivy system for a while now.  There are times, however, when I want to use my other quilts (EE Revelations) and would like to couple them to the sheet.

The easiest part to modify would be the sheet, and making provisions for the quilt on the sheet; the EE employs a couple of snaps that would work quite well, and would be easy to add to keep the ‘wings’ in place.

However, there is yet an easier method and one that might be more versatile in the long run.  I’m working on a prototype right now, and this will not require any modification to your existing quilt.

Stay tuned!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools