Topic

Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness in Montana

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness in Montana

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Hello all.

I’m in the process of putting together my summer hike for me and my grown sons. So far I have excellent permits in SEKI for a hike I’ve done previously,  and not-so-great permits in Glacier NP.  In pondering maps and airfares, we can economically get from Charlotte to Billings, MT, so I’m trying to research the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness in MT as a possibility and something new to me.

Here’s what we’re after:

1.  Within 3-4 hours of Billings, MT
    2.  10 days (early August)
    3.  Loop hike is preferable unless I can work a shuttle of some sort
    4.  13-15 miles per day (on-trail)
    5.  Some off-trail OK, not too technical (don’t want to die!)
    6.  Scenic as possible
    7.  Minor fishing would be a plus

Can anyone suggest some epic loops that meet these criteria?  And are there some obvious guidebook and map resources for this area?

Thank you – Russ W

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Russ. My buddies and I do a 10 day “life list” trip every year. We were in that area a couple times in the last few years.

Don’t count out Yellowstone. We’d only really heard about the zoo atmosphere, but had a fantastic backcountry experience. I think we saw 2 people from a distance in 7 days. Pretty much every big animal this continent has to offer. Easy hitchhiking. We even got our A list routes and camps with no reservations and our trip overlapped Labor Day weekend. There are a ton of people in the park, but they’re all on the roads.

That said, we also did the Beartooths the following year. Stunningly gorgeous. They “feel” super remote as well. Fishing is outstanding. Saw a few people, but it’s definitely not crowded and you can avoid just about everybody if you take less traveled trails or go off trail. Two things we did not work into our planning were the sun and the altitude. You’re way up there and most of the plateau is treeless. If it’s hot, you’ll be running for a lake in short order. The altitude is no joke as well. There’s not a ton of climbing and altitude change (we’re in the Cascades where there’s a lot of up and down), but the thin air is definitely noticeable. Big miles at a fast pace weren’t really happening for us.

Great area. You’ll have a fantastic trip anywhere in that part of the world. Wild critters. Big weather. Big mountains. It really is a life list worthy area for sure. We much preferred that area to Glacier NP where we also did a 9 day trip. I have what I believe to be the best guidebook to the Beartooths and I think I have a big map as well. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send them your way for cheap.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Curt – I would be very interested in your book and maps. Send me a pm with details and we’ll work something out. I would be most interested in your route selection as well.

If you were to repeat one of these trips would you do the Beartooths or Yellowstone? I already have some Yellowstone material and it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

Thanks for the response – Russ

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

@Curt – What guidebook do you have (name/author)?

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

PM Sent.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools