Topic

A UL sunshade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A UL sunshade

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I have a Chrome Dome sun umbrella.  I like it.  A lot.  Especially for high mountains and the tropics which can quickly burn my Celtic complexion.  I feel about 15F cooler underneath it.  And in rain, I much prefer using an umbrella than wearing a parka hood.

But it’s 8 ounces.  And it’s kind of hard to transport – I’ve saved a cardboard mailing tube to keep it safe in luggage, but still. . .

I was in Vegas this last week, not for the gambling or naked Australian men (Thunder Down Under!) or even Cirque De Soleil, but for their bounty of toxic waste sites.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVpzjxRjPk&t=0h1m12s

And while 94F and full sun isn’t much for some of you, it’s still 50F back home.  I scored a slip-on sunshade from the safety supplies that is very wide and made to fit onto a hard hat.  It’s like those pop-up tent with a springy wire rim that folds up for storage and deploys for use.  The diameter is 18″ left to right and 20″ front to rear.  That’s big.

The flap over the neck is very generous, hanging down 9 inches from the brow-ear line and covering almost the rear 180 degrees.  It’s far from your head, through, so it doesn’t block the breeze like so many “Foreign Legion” hats do.

The one I got was high-vis yellow, but they are available in white, tan, khaki and navy.  Online for $8.50 to $10.50.  “Stow-away Hard Hat Shade” by OccuNomix.  Weighs 81 grams / 2.8 ounces.  It folds up pretty easily into a 6-inch diameter disk a 1/2 inch thick within an attached stretchy fabric pouch.

It fits very securely on a hard hat that has a rim all the way around.  It fits somewhat securely on a baseball hat, supported only by its front sleeve around the bill of the hat.  A snap or bit of string or patch of Velcro would secure it just fine to the back of a baseball / truckers / runner’s cap.

There is a “Flying Nun” effect in winds over 10 mph.  If I had a hat with a chin strap, I’d keep it on up to 20 mph and did last week by tightening my adjustable hard hat, but at some point would stow it and use the baseball cap by itself in high winds.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

David,

Thanks for the tip.

I splurged and ordered a $12 khaki one.

Daryl

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

aluminized or white would be cooler

That’s like a Sunday Afternoon hat

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jerry,

I gave in to fashion and went for the khaki instead of the white.

Khaki may result in less reflection under the bill… but I’m not sure of this.

Hole in top will allow me to pull hat down around neck for use as a bib when I’m shoveling food in and when in bib mode a darker color may hide some of the food spills…. but I’m not sure of this either.

….I’m not really sure of anything.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

ha, ha, ha,…

I wear khaki shirt, I should have a white one because it’s cooler

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I once took a sheet of   3/32 flexible foam, cut out a hat brim shape with hole in middle. Since the foam stretched the hole would stretch over my ball cap. Instant large sun brim. Actually works great if no wind. Weighed about 1 oz

But my son said he wouldn’t hike with me if I wore it.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

….I’m not really sure of anything.

You seem pretty sure about that.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good find! They make a biking version called “Da Brim” (http://www.dabrim.com/ ) but it runs $45 retail. They make a hardhat version too, equally spendy.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

good one JR, is that a logical contradiction?

sort of like “this statement is false”

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

There’s a whole category of “Knights and Knaves” logic puzzles. On an island, Knights always tell the truth and Knaves always lie.   You, a visitor, must discern what is true or who is who based on their answers.  e.g. You meet two inhabitants: Zoey and Mel. Zoey tells you that Mel is a knave. Mel says, “Neither Zoey nor I are knaves.” Can you determine who is a knight and who is a knave?

When my son was 13 and desperately wanted to teach his 8-year-old sister more math, she’d negotiate for more logic problems for every minute of math instruction she agreed to (we never told her that logic and Boolean algebra ARE math).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

good logic problem, i sort of like ones with zero or two solutions : )

she also likes Boolean algebra???

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I didn’t mean to derail this thread, but Dave since you started this discussion and you’re contributing to the drift I guess that means you accept my apology =)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Thunder Down Under??  How much are tickets?  : )

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Donna,
    “Tickets Starting at Only $44. Group Discounts & Party Packages. Our Packages Make It Easy · Enjoy Vegas The Right Way · For The Naughty And Nice”

Or you could try to convince Roger that BPL moderator duties for Australians include a bit of burlesque.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I’ve done a fair amount of desert hiking in the past and am now 600 miles into a CDT thru-hike in N. New Mexico.  What I use is a wet Sham Wow underneath my hat to stay cool in the heat.   The Sham Wow stays wet a couple hours under the hat, only takes a few ounces of water to re- wet and cuts my water intake by as much as 50%.  Best of all, when it’s not needed for that, it’s only 2 ounces and can be used as a towel, pot holder and other things.

It just plain works and an item I carry  on every warm weather hike.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Good idea Terry.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

This got me thinking. Picked one up for $7 from Amazon, then gutted it. Grabbed my booney, which isn’t stiff enough to handle much wind – flops up or down. Inserted shortened steel band into a handy seam channel in booney. Tricky to insert end of band into socket on other end of band, but got it to go. Result: perfect stiff brim, and collapsible, but material a bit stiff to do so easily.

Next step – cut out underlayer of booney brim. Upper and lower layers are velour-backed to give the original brim a little stiffness. Removal trimmed half an ounce from hat, made it easier to collapse, and reduced bulk. Twists to a triple loop, 4½” x 6″, which fits easily in a pocket, though still a little bulky in third dimension.

Total weight 3.0 oz. Didn’t weigh beforehand; I’m guessing gained ½ oz in the process – a tradeoff I’m happy with in exchange for a new, stiff brim.

Next step: replace brim with new one made of silpoly or silnylon. Would save weight and bulk, and make easier to collapse. Will take more than a pair of scissors – will have to wait until after Wonderland Trail next month…

Any thoughts on a light fabric that would provide heavy shade? Ideally waterproof, and available in a camel/light tan color?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Gumbo: The spring steel band you used is probably the lightest option.  Like the kind found in some mosquito headsets.  Easier to find is 14-gauge solid-core copper wire.  It’s the right stiffness for a hat brim or tunnel hood lip.  I discovered that on some arctic-rated coveralls with a tunnel hood – you could easily get it into the shape you wanted and then it stayed there.  With the copper wire, you can just nick a little hole in the rim of a hat, pre-shape the wire to that diameter around a bowl or wastepaper basket, and rotate it in through the hole without having to open up the whole seam.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Would it work with a visor? I finally found a visor I can tolerate—scrunci brand in the hair accessories aisle! and was thinking of adding Zpacks pointy hat or makeshift bandana for supplementary protection. This would allow me to convert to Sunday Afternoons-mode without looking like “a poor little dog with one of those cones from the vet,” all the time. (quote from my son)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Katherine, I used it with a baseball cap and it seemed to only need an added button, safety pin or patch of Vecro at the back to secure it.  It worked, mostly, without that, secure on the front bill but was floppy at the back.

So I could imagine 1 or 2 buttons on the rear of a scrunci-banded visor working with corresponding button holes cut (burned with a hot butter knife?) into the sunshade.

We called the collar from the vet the “cone of shame” when our dog had one.  It was Halloween time and since my daughter was in a BB-8 costume that year, we drew the death star on the large collar thing.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

BB-8 and the Death Star trick-or-treating and US Senator Lisa Murkowski stumping for write-in votes to retain her seat, having lost the R primary.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools