Topic

A shot to prevent Lyme disease could be on its way

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion A shot to prevent Lyme disease could be on its way

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/wellness/lyme-disease-prevention-antibody-shot/

Apparently the new vaccine could even stop infection after a bite.

In addition, there was already a vaccine called Lymerix that’s 76-92 percent after 3 injections, but anti-vax propaganda and a class-action lawsuit took it off the market. There were only 59 cases of reactions out of a whopping 1.4 million vaccines, and it’s not known how the reactions were related to the vaccine.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

This is good news.  I asked my doctor a several years ago about the lymerix vaccine, but my doctor said he could not recommend it due to its side effects.  I didn’t look into it any further.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

59 out of 1.4 million?  That’s statistically insignificant…

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I got the original lymerix vaccine but was not able to get the followups. Living in SE Mn I would immediately sign up if a new vaccine becomes available.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

As far as I know theres not much Lyme yet on the west coast but I would REALLY still like to get something like this!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

As far as I know theres not much Lyme yet on the west coast

But I’ve known several West Coasters who were debilitated by too-long undiagnosed Lyme because their doctors had the same opinion. Now some local docs have gone too far the other direction, prescribing prophylactic antibiotics (inappropriately) for me after tick bites. Unfortunately, nuking my gut microbiome created other serious years-long problems.

I’m a big believer in permethrin-treated clothing now. Hope vaccines or antibodies get (re)-approved soon.

— Rex

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Is it always very debilitating or can Lyme end up being a sort of under the radar thing? I have definitely been bitten by many ticks but never been tested

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I had a tick-borne disease infection in the 1990s that went undiagnosed for two years. Kidney enzyme issues, weight loss, neck pain, CFS-like symptoms. I was tested for Lyme eventually (I had done a long AT section-hike and had been bitten multiple times there), but was finally diagnosed with Colorado Tick Fever, most likely from a tick bite I received on a routine overnighter in a wilderness area near Bozeman (I’m pretty J about keeping ticks that bite me and monitoring my bite history, so we were able to narrow it down a bit).

Not a fan of permethrin-treated clothing or DEET, especially when sweating (permethrin can probably enter skin cells in the presence of sweat, not so much in a dry environment) but I get the benefits. I’d rather get the vax, I think, if the problematic side effect incidence % is that low.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I spray permethrin on the outside of pants.  Both sides of gaiters.  Try to keep it away from my skin even though it’s supposed to be safe

Over the last 5 years or so I’ve got several ticks that stayed on me for a couple days (unbeknownst to me).  It seems to have an increasing reaction over time – swelling of the area.  I suspect I’m getting sensitized so it has more of a reaction.  I’m trying to be more diligent about treating clothing

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not a fan of permethrin-treated clothing or DEET, especially when sweating (permethrin can probably enter skin cells in the presence of sweat, not so much in a dry environment)…

Any evidence to support that?  If so, how risky might it be compared to Lyme?

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Isn’t permethrin used for lice treatment? Directly on hair and skin. I wouldn’t worry too much about a tiny bit getting on your skin, even in a formulation designed for clothing.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve seen numerous studies or reports thereof that fail to find any deleterious effects of Permethrin-treated clothing, which is why I asked Ryan if he has any evidence to support his concerns.  From what I’ve seen, the Permethrin-vs-Lyme risk analysis is very easy.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m not overly concerned about using permethrin-treated clothing from a risk standpoint as a backpacker who may only wear it a few days or weeks out of the year. The cumulative dosage of permethrin entering the bloodstream is too low for me to worry about.

But the idea that we use a synthetic pyrethroid known for human toxicity at higher dosages is mildly unsettling (i.e., it doesn’t keep me awake at night).

The sweat data came out of Hubert Snodgrass’s lab in the early 1990s, I saw it presented at DOD technology conference in a seminar session on military clothing technology. Snodgrass was a toxicologist with the US Army, I think. I wasn’t suggesting that the clothing was toxic per se, only that the presence of sweat increased dermal absorption of permethrin.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

permethrin-treated clothing

There’s the soak in treatment and then spray on which doesn’t last as long.  I figure that it is not as harmful when applying the spray-on to outside facing fabric (and letting it dry), though there’s always the waist-band and other high sweat areas.

On the PCT coming out of the Mojave Dam area (hiked through overgrown grass in a high water year), a tick got on me and started burrowing.   Luckily there was a hotel with chlorinated pool and hot tub at I-15 to soak after knifing said tick out.   No effects but never again.  I’ll use the spray on treatment on outward facing fabric … even out west (besides California I’ve had a tick try to crawl up my leg in New Mexico).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools