Topic

A properly attired hiker: Blaze orange in hunting season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A properly attired hiker: Blaze orange in hunting season

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

<p class=”yklcuq-10 hpxQMr”>My trip partner and I were out and about this weekend. We saw hunters scoping out spots for the upcoming rifle season in a couple of weeks. Time to grab some blaze (hunter) orange.</p>
    <p class=”yklcuq-10 hpxQMr”><strong class=”yklcuq-14 gLhJob”>Here’s an article that goes over the different options that could work for wearing blaze orange during this time of the year.</p>
    <p class=”yklcuq-10 hpxQMr”>It is not that hunters will “<em class=”yklcuq-15 llXuhU”>shoot at anything that moves”. Rather, they won’t shoot at all if someone is within their firing area.</p>
    <p class=”yklcuq-10 hpxQMr”>I post and revise this article every year since I think it is important people feel comfortable in all seasons and share the outdoors respectfully and safely.</p>

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Well said – I have a polyester vest and both a blaze orange ball cap and a fleece beanie.  I bought a pack cover at Cabela’s and it would easily fit three of my backpacks at the same time, but I bought it in one of those “I’m going tomorrow and it’s hunting season” moments.  The pack cover is also very heavy.

Last time I went I simply wrapped another vest around my pack in lieu of a pack cover.  At least I was confident that a lot of blaze orange was visible on me from all directions.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the reminder.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Always good to have a reminder.  I’ve got a blaze-orange fleece cap and another, cooler billed cap I wear in the fall.  More so, I put orange on our black dog who already surprises people on the trail whose first thought is that she’s a black bear.  I’ve also taught her to return to me whenever she senses people or critters ahead on the trail – something she does long before I can.

Other really light options: orange reflective vests as worn by highway workers.  Some are a lightweight mesh.  Also, Walmart has wicking T-shirts, long- and short-sleeve in fluorescent orange and yellow for about $11.

I’ve told this story before, but I was driving through Colorado one Fall and was surprised by a news report that there had been 5 fatal accidents so far that hunting season.  In a state that required blaze orange.  And I thought, “Wow, are hunters really just firing at anything that moves?!?

Years later, I mentioned this in a group of old guys and one of them said, “Yeah, a lot of old scores get settled on Opening Day.”  Business partner?  Ex-spouse?  Party to an affair?  Find out where their tree stand is and you know exactly where they’ll be at pre-dawn on Opening Day.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

Good suggestions Dave.

I was driving through Colorado one Fall and was surprised by a news report that there had been 5 fatal accidents so far that hunting season. In a state that required blaze orange. And I thought, “Wow, are hunters really just firing at anything that moves?!?

Years later, I mentioned this in a group of old guys and one of them said, “Yeah, a lot of old scores get settled on Opening Day.” I think they were pulling your leg on this one.

I’ll bet that drive through Colorado was years ago. About 1.2 persons per year are killed in a hunting related accident in Colorado. Almost never is the victim a hiker.

There are about 660,000 Colorado hunters. That’s .18 fatalities per 100,000. There are 1.8 fatalities per 100,000 in outdoor recreation overall (ten times as high,) which is why hunting is one of the safest outdoor sports. Far safer than climbing/hiking, skiing, swimming, horseback riding, etc.

There are two major reasons hunting related fatalities have plummeted in the last 100 years: mandatory hunter education, and the wearing of blaze orange.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

David, how did you teach your dog to return to you when she’s sensed people or animals ahead on the trail?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

I’m sure David will reply but in the meantime – It starts with a solid Recall. Then as soon as you see someone, or a car, or an animal, you recall and reward. It doesn’t take long for the dog to associate those events with a treat (or a “good dog” or a scratch) and then return as soon as something become apparent, whether You see it or not, because there is a reward waiting.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Greg is exactly right.  We already had a solid “Come” command (both verbal, “Luna, Come!” and visual with both our arms outstretched – we usually use the signals together, but either will work by itself).

Then, when I’d perceive anyone / anything ahead on the trail, I’d call her and then give her big praise and a treat when she did.  Being a lab-aussie mix she’s very smart and eager to please and very food motivated.  After 8-10 times, she was coming to me before I called her and sitting at attention in front of me, 30-60-120 seconds before I was aware of any other mammals around.

I also make a practice of directing her to sit off the trail with me as other parties pass.  That always gets lots of appreciation from other trail users.

My wife had her out on a berry-infested trail last year and the dog refused to go any further.  In grizzly bear country, that seemed like a good enough reason to end the hike there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools