Topic

A good video on knots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web A good video on knots

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m good at knots – known and used all the US and Australian Boy Scout knots and lashings for 50 years.  I’m the one everyone hands the rope to for any task or to teach them how.  I learned several useful things watching this video.  It is well presented and I like his “ignition on” and “ignition off” descriptions to convey the hand motions for tying several knots.

YouTube video

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

If you cant tie a knot… tie a LOT!! I have learned to love and appreciate knots since switching out my tarp guylines and line locs.. to just guylines and knots. They will never fail me, quit simple and fast to do (after much practice), obviously weigh less too, but such an insignificant weight difference for me that didn’t really factor in.. i forget who it was, but about maybe 2 years ago he posted on these forums about his thoughts on tarp camping and long distance thruhike, using MLD Grace solo tarp and strictly knots.. inspired me to have at it.. and thanks to his post, I have never looked back!  So thanks for posting this video, I am sure to check it out.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Knowledge of first aid and medical issues weigh nothing but increase your safety.  Likewise, skill with knots and lashings allow you to solve problems with some very light weight cordage.   Lash sticks together into tent poles; use trees, rocks and dead men as anchors.  Repair gear and clothing.  Create impromptu shelters in an emergency.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for sharing.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

+1. This was very helpful!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

If I can stay awake, I’ll watch the video.  Because I didn’t learn knots when young, I have a really hard time remembering them now, using them once or twice a year if that. I have tried over and over, but it just doesn’t stick. I have a knot tying app on my phone, which is nice to have in the field since I don’t remember. It’s funny, I can knit and crochet and do cables and all kinds of tricks with yarn, but I cannot remember knots.  Not sure why.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

YouTube video

LARRY W
    Spectator

@larry-w

Nice  knot video. Loved the reassuring facial expressions LOL. The quick release versions look like winners to me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools