Topic

A Couple Of Interesting Pics From GSMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion A Couple Of Interesting Pics From GSMNP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

My wife and I just returned from doing several hikes in GSMNP.  Couple of interesting pics.  Had the pleasure to meet and talk with Nimblewill Nomad as he passed through Fontana Village on his latest trek.  Starting at Flagg Mountain in Alabama, he had already put in more than 600 miles.

Our Lunar Duo amongst  some of the many X-Mids we came across.

Surprisingly, we had site 86 on Hazel Creek all to ourselves.  Though someone decided to leave their chair behind.

Eagle Creek was absolutely beautiful. We were joined by just the four in the X-Mids above and two older gentlemen who boated in to fish.

On our way to Shuckstack, we ran across “Soldier Boy”.  Attempting a Thru in his grandfather’s uniform. 

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Very cool! What a treat to run into Nomad. Was Soldier in a wool uniform? I’ve paddled into Eagle Creek in summer when the lake was high. An odd thing was in the water along the bluff near the campground we saw thousands of little blue jellyfish the size of a nickel. The TVA biologist told me they likely came from a boat from the Great Lakes originally. Lake Fontana never gets warm other than the top few inches, allowing the little jellies to multiply.</p>

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

We found out right before heading to the park that Eb was making another attempt at a Thru.  I’ve followed his journals for years and was over-the-top excited to finally have a chance to meet him.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>As for Soldier Boy, he said the jacket, pants and blanket were indeed wool.  He said he started at Springer with vintage boots but had to change to the shoes shown due to blisters.  Not sure if the pack was vintage but it certainly looked like it could be.  I didn’t think to ask him what, if anything, he carried for shelter.  I did notice that he was using pace beads which I thought was interesting.</p>
    Other than as a part of hiking the AT through the park on a section hike, I had never explored the SE quadrant of the park.  One hike was up Twenty Mile to the AT and site 113.  Then back down the AT, past Shuckstack to Fontana.  Then did the Lakeshore Trail from the tunnel back to Fontana.  Very cool trip.  So much to see and very few people…unlike the other side of the park.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

Interesting to see the trees leafing out near the lake but still bare up on the AT.

We had a loop hike planned for 4/18 to 4/23, with campsites all reserved, from the tunnel up Fourney Creek Tr and then Jonas Creek Tr, to the top of the Hazel Creek Tr, and then all the way down the Hazel Creek Tr and back to the tunnel on the Lakeshore Tr. We would have been at site 86 on April 20. Unfortunately my hiking partner got the COVID so we had to cancel.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

We were at 86 on the 21st.  While I said we had it all to ourselves, actually the 4 X-Mid’ers were there but way off in another area and we never heard or saw them until hiking in and then back out.  That’s a HUGE site.  So, our camp was off all to it’s own.  It’s my understanding that it and 90 are heavily used so we were very fortunate at both.  We also did a short overnight hike up Noland Creek to site 63.  Also a beautiful area and easy walk to that point.  I would love to do the rest of it as well as the Eagle Creek and Forney Creek trails but the way we did all three hikes, we were spared of any crazy water crossings.  Another day maybe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools