Topic

A Bespoke Clamshell-Pod Pack Organizer…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A Bespoke Clamshell-Pod Pack Organizer…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Say that three times fast… :)

I use a ULA Catalyst for my backpacking. I ordered it custom in 2016 with a couple of additions, one of which was a top pocket. I like the top pocket for general organization and ease of access. However, its 6oz weight really isn’t needed on short trips where the Catalyst’s generous capacity swallows most everything.

So, loving the top pocket but not wanting to incur its weight penalty, I started to search for something similar made of lightweight material for the inside of the pack. A “pod” or “cube” to hold all the disparate items of small gear that traveled in the top pocket.

Nothing I could find had the “right” dimensions for my needs. They were either too small, too large, or just the “wrong” shape.

Enter Etsy.

I found a maker, Jim Toel of Pack Bag Designs, who specializes in all sorts of fabrics including DCF. I reached out to him to see if he’d make something to my specifications. He seemed intrigued, and answered he’d absolutely do it when time permitted. All he asked for was a drawing with specs and a fabric type. I specified 1.3 oz gray DCF. Jim did the rest.

The top interior dimensions of the Catalyst are roughly 13″ W x 9.5″ D, so I specified a clamshell opening pod (or cube) at 11 x 7 x 3″… slightly smaller than the Catalyst to allow for the “pinch” incurred when cinching down the load.

What Jim delivered for $35 was exactly what I wanted… 1.94 oz’s of packable perfection!

Reach out to Jim if you want something (or want this exact item).

Jim can be found at:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PackbackDesigns

My pack with top pocket:

My Spec’s:

The Finished Product:

In use this weekend:

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

I have a similar one made by Superior Wilderness Design.  Their pod pack is deeper.  I use it for everything.  After food goes in I put in my spoon, headlamp, reading glasses, etc.

Nice to have a spot to store the misc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools