Topic

Home Depot fingerless gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Home Depot fingerless gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was at Home Depot tonight on a "mission" and found these Grease Monkey fingerless gloves for $10. My summer biking gloves have a big hole and I've been waiting for a good deal. IMHO, the construction and design are better than my Cannondale gloves that have big holes after one season.

I don't care for padded gloves and these have flat "pleather" palm reinforcements. There is a big fleecy sweat mop section all the way down the back of the thumb too. I could do without the rubber knuckle guard, but that's not a deal breaker. The pair of size large weigh 2.2oz on my scale.

Fingerless gloves rock with trekking poles too.

Grease Monkey fingerless gloves

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

But they don't have a Patagucci or OR brand … Oh the horror!

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I'm liking that little Grease Monkey logo— a working man's "Hello Kitty" :)

I have some long-fingered biking gloves, but I saw some Safety Orange ones that will make fine urban assault biking gloves when the time comes to replace them.

When it comes to waterproof gloves, I once saw a fellow cruising down the street in the rain wearing bright yellow dishwashing gloves. I thought that was a ultimate dirtbag equipment approach.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I once saw a fellow cruising down the street in the rain wearing bright yellow dishwashing gloves."

Between dip netting for salmon, kayaking and clamming, I've got no end of neoprene gloves, in sizes to fit everyone, in all states of wear and tear because clamming, especially, is hard on gloves.

Dishwashing gloves aren't nearly as warm, but sometimes I don't need a lot of warmth, just a bit plus some protection from barnacles or fish slime. And at $2-$3/pair, I liked the ones that are flocked on the inside for a little more warmth.

Back to bicycling: I hosting a party in Berkeley for college students and a grad student from Holland got ready to leave on his bike on a cold night. He asked for an old newspaper and proceeded to crumble individual sheets into softball-sized balls and stuff them into his windbreaker, especially in the front. I loved that he could go from a wind shirt to a puffy for $0 and no (outbound) carried weight.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Back to bicycling: I hosting a party in Berkeley for college students and a grad student from Holland got ready to leave on his bike on a cold night. He asked for an old newspaper and proceeded to crumble individual sheets into softball-sized balls and stuff them into his windbreaker, especially in the front. I loved that he could go from a wind shirt to a puffy for $0 and no (outbound) carried weight."

The Garlington Insulator for hammocks is much the same: use an undercover and trash bags with crumpled newspaper, dry leaves, or the Deluxe version with crumpled space blankets.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

Dishwashing gloves have two big drawbacks (for either biking or hiking):

1. They're tight. Bloodflow restriction is a very bad idea
    2. They're a pain to put on and take off. Once hands have got wet, they're twice the pain. Dexterity is quite good with the gloves on but you'll hate the moment you need to take them off for doing anything. In urban biking I find it's particularly important to use gloves that are easy to take off

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The gloves don't have to be tight, but they would be sweaty. i would want way oversize with a thin liner. I was just struck by the sheer utility of them. The guy's bike was every bit as dirtbag as using the gloves.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

[…]

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'm liking that little Grease Monkey logo— a working man's "Hello Kitty" :)
    Now that almost got deleted as unsuitable for minors …
    :-)

Cheers

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I used some full-finger version from HD for many years mountain bike riding. I liked the knuckle bumpers for occasional run-ins with trail-side scrub oak. After time, the stitching and velcro started coming apart, so they're in my trail work clothing bin. Anyway, good value.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I got them out for a 30+ mile ride yesterday and they worked great. The rubber knuckle bumper actually added some wind protection right at the point it is needed most.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My father told me that during WWII, while stationed in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, they were issued jackets that used crumpled paper as insulation. I don't know if it was newspaper or not. I guess as long as it's dry and cold the paper works fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools