Topic

Is there any benefit to non-stick titanium cookware and is there any danger?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is there any benefit to non-stick titanium cookware and is there any danger?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Iā€™m redoing various systems to make them lighter, more functional and more efficient, and now turning attention to cook system. I was wondering – is there any benefit to non-stick titanium cookware, and is there any danger? It's easy to overheat titanium, and non-stick coatings can present hazards when overheated (so I've read and heard).

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

The primary reason for non-stick Ti cookware is to prevent sticking when you're actually cooking with the pot. If you're just boiling water, there is no real advantage that I know of. As for hazard prevention, I've heard that with aluminum, but not titanium.

Tom

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

E.J., I know this is sort of irrational of me but I've never used non-stick pans (while camping or at home) since I learned what Teflon was first invented for: it was used to coat piping that transported radioactive material in the Manhattan Project.

It may have the lowest friction coefficient of any material known to man, but it has no business near my food. ;)

Another thing: I'm a public health researcher and I can't help but notice a bias in the research related to the health ramifications of using non-stick stuff. If the reserach was independent, then the conclusion tends to be that teflon is associated with health risk. If the research was funding by an organization, however tangentially related to the sales of Tefon products, then Teflon is safe.

Another thing: if you get a pet bird, vets instruct you to stop using teflon pans because, if you overheat them, they release toxic gas that is especially harmful to birds. Think canaries in the mine shaft.

And titanium, with its poor heat dispersal qualiteis, will definitely create hot spots that overheats the coating.

Scratched Teflon is especially risky, and it's tough to clean pans in the wild without scratching them.

It's just bad stuff dude. Life isn't convenient. Crud sticks to pans. Teflon kills. Play it safe. ;)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Hi David,

That's exactly why I asked. I'm familiar with the possible dangers of teflon, and what's bad for small animals I believe is bad for the big ones. That's why we didn't use the set we had (that and the weight). However, I like to generally pose open questions without leading, and see what comes back from the community.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

If I recall correctly, Evernew uses ceramic instead of teflon. Don't know if there are risks w/ceramic.

Let me know if I'm mixed up!!!!

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hey, looks like you're right. This is the description of the Evernew pots from REI:

"Extra-thick silicon ceramic coating is superior, passing tests for heat, corrosion, frying and scratch-resistant hardness"

Still dubious though…

I mean, passing whose tests? Tests for what? Heat, corrosion, frying and scratch resistance,bot *not* health apparently.

Man, I'm paranoid.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

A note of clarification: Teflon wasn't "invented," it was discovered when a 1938 refrigerant experiment went awry. It was patented in '41, and various applications followed, with the French developing its use with cookware in 1954.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Teflon wasn't "invented," it was discovered when a 1938 refrigerant experiment went awry. It was patented in '41, and various applications followed, with the French developing its use with cookware in 1954.

And despite all the urban myths about terrible dangers encountered with Teflon coating on cookware, it remains a well-respected mainstream material widely available in both cookware and medical equipment (and others applications).

Yes, if you take Teflon up to a serious temperature it will decompose. You might also set your kitchen on fire.
    Yes, a poorly run manufacturing process may create some problems, but the same applies to *many* other chemicals.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Use your gear for what it was designed for. Teflon is safe if you use the items for what they are created for.

Huffing Teflon fumes off of a jacked up stove in a sealed tent isn't one of them.

Normal use though isn't going to harm you!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

>Huffing Teflon fumes off of a jacked up stove in a sealed tent isn't one of them.

Great. Kill my plans for the weekend, why don't ya? ;)

Tom

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I know! I was looking forward to testing the flammability of my tent by chain smoking in it and then eating a platter of smoked salmon, caviar and French cheeses in it to test whether bears would break into my tent.
    There goes my weekend plans!

;-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools