Topic

Darn Tough Socks Suck!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Darn Tough Socks Suck!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ok, unpopular opinion…. I have no idea why Darn Tough socks are lauded as the sock to end all socks. They are literally my worst sock. The wool wears right out from the nylon with just a month of use or so… Both of my pairs are shedding warm, insulating merino like they were designed to do it.

eifnwaegawrg

Here are the socks I have currently:

Darn Tough Ankle Sock (WEAR SPOTS!)
    Darn Tough Boot Hiking Sock (WEAR SPOTS!)

Everything else is immaculate with similar or GREATER amounts of use:

Smartwool Hiking
    Smartwool PHD Toe Socks (super thin, all there still)
    Smartwool PHD Ski Socks
    Fox River Ankle (thin socks, still all there!)
    Chrome Industries Merino Socks (same nylon/wool blend, but no wear spots!)

So, why does everyone love these socks so much? The wool is just wearing right off of them. Am I trying the wrong style, do I have two defective pairs? Am I alone in this?

Confused,
    Max

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Some people like them. To each their own.

I rarely wear wool socks hiking (I prefer Wrights) but wear them on a near daily basis at work. I'm still wearing the same ol' Kirkland wool socks that I bought from Costco a few years ago. I normally air dry them but they do make it into the drier from time to time. Plenty of life left in them and I won't be surprised to get several more years from them.

Less confused,

Ian

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

My Fox River socks are the same everyman-basic wool socks, and they're seemingly indestructible. I just don't know if I'm supposed to drink the kool-aid when it comes to Darn Toughs, the durability seems worse than all of my other socks.

From all the other sock threads, everyone's go-to hiking sock seems to be DT for durability, and I'm just not seeing it. Nothing to do with preference, I'd love to use DT's for the cool patterns.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Haven't noticed a problem. Worn my pair of Darn Tough hiking last yr. or so, alternating them in with city footwear. I do not expect any sock to withstand daily use. They gave some out on the PCT and think the socks lasted a decent amount according to the blogs I had followed. Sometimes peoples anatomy or usage doesn't match others experiences.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

You shouldn't see that kind of wear after a month, even if you wore them every day. Assuming no git 'er done Olympics (lawn skiing in them behind a ride 'em mower), I wouldn't hesitate to make them stand behind their product guarantee and return them.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Yeah, thinking about it. My experience seems way different from others… but then again, shouldn't I see that with my other socks? Hmm… I'll call DT.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

My experience has been very different. But I have only used the thinnest version, and it doesn't have any of the "fluff" you are losing. The thinner version has worn much better than comparable Smartwool. I have had them for a couple of years and see no visible wear at all.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I'm with Ben. The "mesh" merino running socks from DT are where it's at. No fuzzy stuff inside, very long-wearing and dry faster than the thicker "hiking" socks. Also, DT has a lifetime guarantee. Wear a hole in your socks and they'll replace them–there's a form on their website that tells you how to do it. (I think Icebreaker might do this with their socks now, too.)

FWIW, I like some of the Fox River socks too–I have found they last about as long as Darn Tough. I gave up on Smartwool a long time ago because they always started to get holes after a couple of months of casual use. Maybe it just has to do with foot shape and different high-wear areas. Or the type of shoe you're using them with.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

I am with Ben here.
    The thinner version ("lighthiker", no fluff) outwears Smartwool by a factor of at least 4 (thus far).
    This is based on several years of using both brands.

No experience with their fluffy models though. OP's seem to justify a warranty replacement as per DT's policy.

John Porter
    Spectator

@porterbrau

Locale: So Cal

What's the return policy of your store/outfitter? Since it's only been a month, there's probably no need to contact the manufacturer yet.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Since they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty, wouldn't you just have to buy one or two pairs and then return them each time they wear out, for the rest of your life? The initial purchase is a little steep, but hey, free socks for life thereafter.

I have two pairs of the DT full-cushion hiker socks that are definitely dense and quite comfy. I only have a handful of hiking days in them so far, but they seem good. My normal Smartwool socks normally last me 2+ years of regular use before they get thin (usually on the outside of my pinkie toe metatarsus-phalanges bulge).

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I've switched to synthetics for hiking; BUT I still like DT dress socks for everyday business wear.

I have a big toenail that's pointed strangely and it's tough on any sock. Eventually the DT socks wore out at that point. I printed the warranty paperwork on their website and shipped them back to DT. Within a couple of weeks I had brand new pairs. No fuss, no problems.

So from my experience, they do last longer than most other socks and they will stand behind their warranty.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Max, here's a pic of my oldest pair of Darn Toughs (and my only thick "fuzzy" pair):

old darn tough

They've looked like that pretty much forever. The fuzz wore off but the underlying structure has remained intact for (best guess) about 7 years (I know I owned these socks when I completed my undergrad in December 2007). Granted, I only wear them when it's cold because they are big and thick.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I've owned these socks for a little while, but both have seen 30 days of use or less. My full cushion hiking ones, maybe 20 days. No wear at all anywhere except for those middle sections, where (as you can see in my photo) the Merino is wearing away from the underlying lattice of, I assume, nylon. A real bummer, and not even on a wear spot. Both are losing their wool on the underside of the arch and the top of my foot.

The heel and ball of the foot, and the toes, are immaculate.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I'd return them it doesn't seem right they wore out like that so soon. I used the thinner DT consistently on the PCT and never had a problem, in fact I still have those pairs and they are fine. Looks like you got a bad production run.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I've never tried DT socks, but have had much better luck with Wigwam "light hiker" socks than other brands (including Smartwool, REI, Patagonia, etc.)

Scott Koons
    BPL Member

@skoons

Love the DT light hikers. Haven't had the issue you are having currently but I did give up Smartwool for same reason.

Let us know how DT responds if you send them back.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I wore a pair yesterday for nine miles. Putting them in my next garage sale – the socks are intact, but the skin on one heel and both forefeet will take a while to heal. I thought I was blistering but didn't; the skin just abraded until it started to shred and peel away.

Back to Smartwool PhDs….

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have the DT Coolmax hiking boot socks. No wear problems. I like them a lot. I don't care much for wool. And I think the CoolMax likely lasts longer.

Billy

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Max, are those the ultralight non cushion socks? I have a pair and they wore out really fast.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I don't find much consistency in terms of brand. Sometimes a pair gets holes early, sometimes they wear out maybe in a year. I get whatever is comfortable, itch free, not binding, and tend to have better/longer wear. So far the Smartwool PhDs and Wigwam are doing better. Every now and then a pair just doesn't last and gets holes and frays within a month. I only wear wool or wool blend, since synthetics have given me issues with abrasions and blisters.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Hey Max! While I have a drawer full of wool socks, I've ended up going with nylon cycling socks as hiking socks. Of course, that's here in sunny SoCal, and I avoid serious snow these days – I did six years in the sub-Arctic, and have no desire to do snow these days. But for warmer conditions, hiking or cycling, those nylon cycling socks just don't wear out – kinda like synthetic cycling jerseys!

John Davis
    BPL Member

@jcd

Locale: Southeast

Gave up on Smartwool socks. Wore holes in them too quickly. Darn Tough and Icebreaker have easily outlasted the Smartwool. I also do not get blisters with DT.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Anyone try Ibex socks?

Duncan M
    Spectator

@dmasland

Locale: Sierra

Check out Defeet. Made in the USA and super durable in my experience. Woolie Boolie and Blaze are great midweight wool options.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools