Topic

another montbell tachyon fit and sizing question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) another montbell tachyon fit and sizing question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

In the market for a new windshirt. Husband is 5'11" and 135-ish lbs. 31 inch waist, so he's within the size chart's recommendation for a Medium. Will the Medium work layered over a fleece or puffy? I think I heard somewhere that these are fitting true-to-size and not running as small as Montbell once had a reputation for.

Also, how do people like the hood on the Tachyon anorak? Does it fit well and snug enough that folks actually use it, or is it just a flapping annoyance?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I have the non-hooded full zip Tachyon.
    I'm 5,10 and 165lbs, (pants size is 32×30…does that mean I have a 32" waist?)

Tachyon fits me perfect. Has room to go over a 200wt fleece, but a puffy would be pushing it….unless it was thinner like a nano puff, or MB Thermawrap.
    I typically don't use windshirts over puffy layers anywho.

Definitely not as breathable as the Houdini, or my beloved stoic wraith (discontinued for being too awesome).
    I typically reserve the Tachyon for colder trips where I'll sweat a little less.

Hope that helps.

Zpacks also came out with a wind jacket recently.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Forgot to mention that my Tachyon is a men's medium. ;)

royo royo
    Spectator

@carbonbl

Locale: PNW

I have a tachyon anorak in small. I'm 6', 140ish lbs, 29 waist, usually wear size small shirts/jackets in most brands. I usually wear the tachyon over a baselayer or a baselayer + patagonia R1 fleece, and for that the size small gives me a slim/athletic fit that is still non-restrictive. I wouldn't layer over anything thicker than that, though, and even so it can be a little annoying to put on, as I basically have to put both arms in the sleeves at the same time, before I actually have the anorak over my head. This avoids stressing the really thin material.

I have unexpectedly grown to like the hood, despite how basic it is. The elastic closure is simple and effective, if a little difficult to work with gloves. It snugs up tightly and provides noticeable extra warmth. The thin fabric prevents the hood from binding up so it moves freely with your head, preventing the tunnel effect you can get with thicker shell jackets. The volume reducer is a simple piece of velcro which only slightly reduces excess flapping material, but it doesn't bother me too much as the hood opening stays in place even in windy conditions. Of course, Your Head Shape May Vary.

Overall it is a good jacket, although I wouldn't take it bushwhacking and even so expect to patch some holes after a couple more trips. I mostly use it for dry day hikes or rainy runs where I can generate enough heat to stay warm despite the jacket wetting out eventually.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

We looked at the Zpacks windshirt, but at the moment it costs almost twice what a Tachyon does (MB has them at outlet prices). Outside of my budget for a windshirt.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I just got a Tachyon anorak from the Montbell outlet. I guessed right with a Large. I think the medium would have been way too snug. I am 5'11" 190, about 42" chest. Length is perfect all around (slightly on the long side). The chest area fits very well.

There is just enough extra fabric in the arms and lower torso to allow me to wear it over my Medium WM Flash XR without compromising loft.

If I were only ever going to wear it over a thin baselayer and didn't mind having a limited range of motion, perhaps a medium could work. Obviously the Large is a far more versatile fit.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I have the non-hood (full zip) Tachyon and while I find it very useful it is more of a niche item. It is not very breathable at all (more like a VBL) and gets clammy in a real hurry after the least bit of exercise. I like to use it over a polyester zip T at the start of a run on a cool day, and then remove it as soon as I warm up, which is fairly quickly. At least that's my experience.

I find the Dynamo (hooded, full zip) FAR more versatile for hiking/backpacking, perhaps the most useful 3-season piece I own. It really knocks the wind down, and layered over a 100-wt fleece it has kept me quite comfortable while hiking in fairly high winds with temps in the upper 20's.

The Dynamo is also cut more generously to accommodate layers. My size M can easily fit over a fleece or a moderate puffy.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Bob how breathable do you find the Dynamo? I know it has some pit vents which must help, but wondering how breathable the material is. I have a pre-2012 Houdini which I find breathes just the right amount, but have been looking to pick up a second light hooded wind jacket as I hike and run in the Houdini daily and only wash it once/week. It would be good to have a separate one to grab for everyday travel that's not funked up, or for when the Houdini goes (surprisingly no serious wear yet). Hoping the Dynamo might be at least as breathable as the Arcteryx Squamish.

It's amazing how useful a good hooded wind layer can be over a large range of conditions.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

EJ, I have found the Dynamo to breathe just right, even when it's rather damp from a heavy mist or light rain. I wore it for several hours per day while down in Seneca Creek/Spruce Knob, WV in early October. Got a lot of rain/mist and gained a huge amount of appreciation for the Dynamo combined with a light fleece or a simple long-sleeved polyester zip T, depending upon temperature. It's so easy to regulate temperature by pulling the hood up or down, zip-unzip the front zipper and/or pull the wrist cuffs up on your forearms or cinch down with the velcro tabs.

I have never used a Houdini, but the many reviews I've read about it seem to dovetail perfectly with my experience with the Dynamo. I also have the Dynamo pants and find them to be a great 3-season item as well.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have the tachyon in L. 42" chest, 31 waist, so I prefer tapered fits. It has a bit of a boxy fit, and fits roomy over my L exlight with no compression of loft.

Almost like it was made to do that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools