Topic

Foam Pad in my back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Foam Pad in my back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

When I load up my GoLite Jam, I do as I was taught, using my foam pad as a virtual frame, and stuff the rest of my gear down inside of this. I cut down a blue foam pad to get something torso length (my full length Ridge Rest just didn't work inside the pack). Unfortunately, I now get this weird feeling with the pad pressing into my back from the curve of the pad. Frankly, I'm not sure I like it.

Now, admittedly, this is worse when I use the sternum strap (which also makes my shoulders hurt, but it's still there. Does anyone else experience it? If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks,
    Tom

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Not trying to be negative but I have had the same thing w/frameless packs. The pad sleeves in SMD packs have fixed the prblem for me.

Perhaps someone can offer an easier solution than switching packs

Todd

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Don't sweat it Todd, I suspect as much. My next step is actually to try a GG NightLight Torso pad, since it folds up flat. However, since I'll be on the trail this time next week, I'd love to find something that'll fix it now, you know? ;)

Tom

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I usually run out of room and put the pad on the outside of my pack (Jam original model). I arrange my sleeping bag stuff sack horizontally to form a lumbar curve. My clothing bag does on top of that, with the odd-shaped stuff like kitchen and food on top. I've only been able to get it all inside with uberlight loads– summer weight bag and clothing. The cussing really starts with the pad sticking to itself, making it had to fully expand it and everything dragging on it when trying to stuff it all in. Surface texture on a pad is great when sleeping, but a pain for packing. I'm using a Insulmat foam pad, but the Ridgerest was the same struggle. I didn't like the stovepipe shape on my back either. Inflateables seem to be much more manageable this way

The best pad-in-the-pack strategies I have seen use the pad in a sleeve and rely on the more Spartan pads like Goassamer Gear's.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Dale,

This is an original Jam also. My Ridge Rest had to ride outside the pack, there was just no way around it. With the torso length pad, I can get all my gear inside (which was preferable), but it does feel like I'm carrying around a stove pipe as you put it (great description BTW).

Tom

David Wills

@willspower3

if the feeling is weird because of the curvature of the pad, one solution is to turn it into a z rest style folding pad. I took a foam pad from walmart and cut it into equal length section and duct tape them together alternating sides. After a little use, the curve will go away and you will have a flat pad that is easy and quick to fold up. The duct tape has lasted about 2 years and now needs replacing.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

As David suggested, try folding rather than rolling the pad. I also scored a closed cell foam mat (72") so that it would fold accordian-style. That worked fine, but I've found that scoring isn't really necessary. I own a Pinnacle, and I've found that folding the pad makes a world of difference.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

I am totally sure that I get what you're doing, so I'll try to describe my system which works pretty well.

I'm not sure that it matters much, but I use a 3/8" blue foam pad from REI. Originally it was 24 wide – I cut the width to equal the back length of the pack. It's 40" long. I fold it and place it against the pack of the pack rather than creating a "tube" to pack into.

Sleeping bag / any spare clothing forms the foundation at the bottom of the pack; cooking gear on top of that with food bags packed around it; day use and photo equip on top of that. I never had any trouble getting 5 days worth of gear in before I started using a synthetic quilt… :~(

This works fime for up to 20#s or so… I wonder if you just prefer a more structured pack?

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Thanks folks. I've tried to get it to fold flat, but so far no luck, it just keeps trying to pop to cylinder shape. However, I don't think that would be a problem in a fully packed pack. I'm probably going to go for a walk later today, so I'll probably just load the pack up and wear it with the pad folded and see how that goes.

As for a pack with more structure, I haven't ruled that out, but with the exception of the shoulder straps causing some pain when the sternum strap is used, I have no other problems with the Jam. I'm still pretty new though, so time may tell a different tale ;)

Tom

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Well, this may be more of MYOG but this is what works for me… I use a foam pad and I have cut it down to fit my width (also made one for my girlfirend) that also works well with my pack. I then cut it into 2 unequal sections where the longer of the two would be against my back panel. The two sections are laced together with some ul line. I did reinforce the holes with some small gommets, but the added weight is neglegible for the offset durability. I fold up the smaller section and place into pack.. The long edges do curl a little bit in the pack, but give decent structure.

The smaller section can be untied to use as a seat around camp too. I added some other small gromets to the edge so that my GF's pad and mine can join together. If I were to do it again, I think I might sew on velcro bits or buttons and loops to join the small to large section (and mine to the GF). You could also duct tape them together along the seam. I may also make a pillow that would attach to the other edge.

Here is a crude pic of what I have done.

pad

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

I just gave my Jam a re-pack and a try-on with the pad folded. It still feels just a bit odd, but that went away after a few minutes wearing it. A flat pad is definitely the way for me to go. It even seemed to help with the shoulder strap issues for some reason…but that could just be my imagination.

Thanks for the help folks! I needed to know I wasn't crazy or alone on that one :D

Tom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools