Topic

Maps and Trail Guides on Amazon Kindle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Maps and Trail Guides on Amazon Kindle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Al Brassell
    BPL Member

@jambeaux

Locale: Southeastern US

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Amazon Kindle for maps, trail guides and other reference materials while on the trail?

Thanks,
    Jambeaux

Charles Miles
    BPL Member

@cmiles

Not 100% sure if you are looking for feedback on using a Kindle reader and/or feedback on using the Kindle version of Guides on the Kindle app on a phone/tablet/computer – since I have done both a few quick comments that might be interesting:

-The quality of presentation of the Kindle guides that I have purchased have varied quite a bit (way more than paper guides), definitely recommend taking advantage of as many samples as you can to see how the book actually looks on the Kindle!

-Both the Kindle Reader I have (an older on so that might make a difference?) and all the versions of the Kindle App I have tried (Android, Android on Tablet, WindowS) zoom/scroll in a way that is – at least for me anyway – somewhere between 'very poor' and 'unusable' for map and image content/

-I have enjoyed and taken advantage of being able to have the Kindle version of a guide on both my laptop (for 'research'/getting ready), my tablet (for browsing/fun) and my phone (for quick reference on the trail or quickly looking up alternatives).

-Some of the Kindle Readers have great battery life, are very readable in sunlight and are reasonably small so I guess could be great is you were frequently accessing a lot of text directions on the trail (plus great for reading at night!!) but as alluded to above using mine for referencing a map doesn't seem so great.

Hope that helps a little,
    CM

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

…I've used both Guthook's apps and Gaia maps on my iPhone and iPad with great results. I can't imagine Kindle would be any different. The only issue is with my iPhone: the GPSr runs down the battery in a hurry.

Have fun!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I've used both Guthook's apps and Gaia maps on my iPhone and iPad with great results. I can't imagine Kindle would be any different."

The readers don't run apps, they only open documents/books, FWIW.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

This works with a Nook e-reader and *should* work with the kindle as well.

I use caltopo and save my maps as a PDF, which Nook will allow you to upload. If you're not familiar with Caltopo, there's an option to create a .pdf when you print the map. For any other file format, there should be some sort of workaround within your operating system to convert the file to .pdf.

I read Kindle books on my iPad but according to this website, looks like you can upload a PDF to Kindle e reader.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-transfer-pdfs-to-a-kindle.html

Marlo S
    BPL Member

@entsorg-_

just stumbled upon that blog: https://ludovic.cool/e-ink-gps-topographics-map/

looks very promising and he’s also working on a newer version though there aren’t any updates since 2021 :/

Does anyone have experience with something similar or knows of any (more recent) e-reader modifications

Marlo S
    BPL Member

@entsorg-_

just stumbled upon that blog:

https://ludovic.cool/e-ink-gps-topographics-map/

looks very promising and he’s also working on a newer version though there aren’t any updates since 2021 :/

Does anyone have experience with something similar or knows of any (more recent) e-reader modifications

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Especially bushwhacking off trail in wilderness areas, the USGS 7.5 min. topos have served best.  Nothing on line has come even close.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools