Topic

Suggestions for April 4 Spring Break. Southern Utah? Others?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Suggestions for April 4 Spring Break. Southern Utah? Others?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I am looking for an outdoors trip for my son's spring break. It's one week beginning April 4. I'm up for anywhere really. It seems like southern Utah might be a really good option. Is weather good for a trip there this time of year? Any specifics route recommendations? Anywhere else I should consider? I was not able to get an overnight permit in the grand Canyon.
    As background, I'm an experienced backpacker. My wife had more limited experience and a bit less tolerance for discomfort. My son is 17, pretty athletic, and we'll have no problem keeping up. We would like to do overnights but not opposed to mixing in some day touring too.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Anyone?

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

https://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/happy-maze-loop/
    http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/dark-needles-loop/
    http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/the-royal-arch-loop-grand-canyon/
    http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/r2r2r-alt/

There's lots to do in the GC that doesn't involve the corridor trails (Kaibab) & therefore easy to get a permit. E.g., Royal Arch above. Early April is usually good, but can be cold – it could snow but probably won't stick. Plus it's generally the best time to find water.

Two shorter routes are Buckskin-Paria (S UT / N AZ) and Mee & Knowles (W CO).

Of all of these suggested I'd probably pick Royal Arch IF you don't mind the short downclimb/rappel & don't mind ponying up $200 for the shuttle (or have multiple vehicles). Dark Canyon / Needles maybe second choice (loop).

There are MANY more options! It's a great area.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Thanks, Peter. I wasn't able to get non-corridor permits in the GC. And I'm not sure my wife would be up with the rappel…heights. The other trips you posted look great. I will look into permitting.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

I'm surprised. Last year we did a walk-in permit for RA the day before.

Needles: I think you must reserve camp sites w/in the Nat'l Park (Salt Crk). Don't recall if this also pertains in the Maze District.

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

Maybe a little different than you are looking for.

Canyoneer, backpack and hike in Zion.

Conyoneer: hire a local guide (did this with Zion Adventures spring last year) to take the family (in my case wife, afraid of heights, 11, 12 and 14 year old kids) out for a day. They will show you how to use gear ie rappel and have a fun day. Great for your son and a mental challenge for the wife.

Backpack top down in the Narrows. Very scenic hike in the main canyon/river of Zion. You have to be willing to have cold/wet feet. Remember this is dessert cold, not Kentucky cold.

Hike "The Subway" (checkout pictures online). This is generally a non technical canyon, but you can use the skills learned on day one to complete the one small rappel. (Descriptions make this out to be more technical than it is because many people complete this route without a rope, which is a risk.)

I'm a backpacker. I visited Zion in the spring two years ago and did some basic hiking. The beauty (spectacular drive though the canyon and tunnel from the East entrance) was enough to get me back last spring. That trip, I did a day of technical canyoneering. I am hooked. Went back twice last year and have two more trips scheduled this year. I've spent many a night in the Sierras and love them, but I drive Past the Sierras including Yosemite to get to Zion.

Ok really getting on the soap box. Some pics.

Daughter at rappel training.
    Daughter on the rappel training hill

Headed down a "rabbit hole" Headed down a rabbit hole

Typical slot canyon
    Typical amazing slot canyon hiking

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Great idea, Paul. In fact, it's such a good idea that we did a trip to Zion a couple of years ago and did up ams back on Narrows and Subway. It would be fun to learn a few canyoneering skills though

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools