Topic

Cuben winter shelter for Smoky Mountains?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben winter shelter for Smoky Mountains?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

Longtime reader on these forums, finally registered. I just got hired as an ATC Ridgerunner and I start in the Smokies in mid-February. I know the winters can get pretty wild so I want to upgrade my shelter to something that can handle decent snow loads and winter winds. I'm considering a bivy, probably one of the TiGoat options, as well. The cuben MLD Duomid seems to be my number one choice right now, but unfortunately I can't wait for it to be produced. My options seems to be:

MSR Twin Sisters

pros: cheap (I get a prodeal and can get it for $200), fast shipping
    cons: heavy

HMG Flat tarp:

pros: cheapish, fast shipping (I think?)
    cons: spindrift can probably get in

HMG UltaMid

pros: more coverage
    cons: stupid expensive

Zpacks stuff

pros: reasonable shipping times, light
    cons: not as good for wind or snow, expensive

Anyone got an MLD duomid they want to sell? Or any suggestions for a better solution for the Smokies February through May, when I have no choice but to go backpacking even if the weather is terrible? It's not like I can just choose not to go out because the conditions are bad, I need something bombproof. Weight is still important. I currently use a Tarptent Moment which won't handle the conditions. Pack is a ULA circuit.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

A single pole mid is what you want. Have you looked in the gear swap forum for a cuben DuoMid?

Another option is the Locus Gear Khufu. It's extremely similar to the MLD DuoMid and its also offered in cuben. 4-5 week wait. Their craftsmanship is top notch. This would actually be my first choice, followed by the MLD DuoMid (also great), followed by the HMG UltaMid 2 (pricey) and then then Bear Paw WD PyraTent 2 (lower construction quality). You could also grab a silnylon mid on Gear Swap, use that until your new cuben ones arrives and then sell the silnylon one for what you paid.

I've been using a cuben DuoMid for a number of years and it's been excellent. I recently sold it to switch to a silnylon Locus Gear Khufu, partly because I'm not sure I trust cuben in really cold conditions (based on no evidence at all). Cuben is really awesome stuff for a shelter because it's got no stretch and it's super waterproof. Not good for floors though.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I just spent 3 nights in GS last weekend, and 8 nights in October. Conditions are ever-changing and generally involve a lot more precipitation than some other places.

If I were staying in a tent, the TT Notch I used last weekend would certainly be inadequate over time! You're on track with a mid and Dan's advice is good. That said, won't you generally be on the ridges around the AT and using the shelters most of the time? I would take that into consideration as you figure out your sleeping setups in a mid and the shelters… I would add a bivey of some sort to protect that $500 quilt or bag from the elements and/or shelter dust and add some modest insulation…just my 2 cents.

Thanks for what you're doing…maybe I'll run into you.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Many shelters will be able to take the winds up there thanks to all the trees providing a wind break. Wet, heavy snow loads are what you will probably have to deal with the most. As mentioned above, a single (or even a dual) pole mid will handle them the best. Put a WTB in Gear Swap for a Duomid and if nothing soon I would probably check with BPWD or go Silnylon.

Ryan

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Any mid should work well. What about an Oware Alphamid? It has steeper walls for better snow shedding and more headroom than the duomid at about the same footprint. The duomid is a good choice too and if you have to go to Sil perhaps you could get an old Golite Shangri La 2. It is about the same size as a duomid as well but might have more interior room and weighs the same or less than a sil duomid after seam sealing.

If none of those work out the Twin Sisters would be a bomber option. It is heavy but you are going to be living out of it for a few months in all types of weather so that may not be a bad thing.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Andrew,

If you shoot me a PM, or provide an email address, I might have a (new to me) used Duomid for sale.
    It is the one I acquired from this Gearswap thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=98620

and I might be willing to part ways with it, as I don't need it right away….

Give me a shout if interested.

Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

PM sent. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Assuming I go with the Duomid, how is it with the aforementioned wet, heavy snow loads?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools