Topic

Cross-country skiing around NYC?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Cross-country skiing around NYC?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Hi fellow skiers, please tell me if you have any suggestions on where to ski in and around NYC. My Christmas skis have one day on them in central park, and they already pulled me aside and said that they wanted wilderness.

I'm really familiar with the area, but for hiking I seek high elevations, not flat-ish skiing areas.

Thanks!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Fahnestock State Park:

http://nysparks.com/parks/147/details.aspx

I skied there when I used to live in NYC

enjoy!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Try long island green belt trail. It's about 32 miles north to south across Long Island..Heckshire state park to Sunken Meadow state park.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Thanks for the replies.

Fahnestock state park looks awesome, but when I looked into transportation plus $10 day pass it was like $50-60 for a day trip.

I'm familiar with the trail on LI, that's a potential one. They typically get blasted with snow too!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Ever been way, way up north in Manhattan? The part most folks don't realize is still Manhattan.

Inwood Hill park is a little bit of wilderness.

Never tried skiing there, but did spend lot of time walk/hiking there.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Maybe check out this one.

This park is pretty big and has lots of areas with rolling/flat terrain. I read recently somewhere that they actually have a small hill with a tow rope for folks to get a tiny taste of downhill.

Not my cup o' tea but if it were I'd investigate further.

Also some designated x-ski routes at Harriman State Park if you wanna check.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools