Topic

Carbon felt for cosy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Carbon felt for cosy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I have been experimenting with using carbon felt as a pot cosy. The advantage is that you can leave it on the pot while you cook, which should significantly reduce cooking times. It is also quite light and highly insulative. I wonder if anyone else has tried this.

The only problem I can see is getting a connective material that is equally heat resistant. Carbon thread might be the go.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Its been done before. It actually increases boil times.
    Its also velcro for dirt,etc.

Carbon felt has its uses..but a pot cozy is not one of them..

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Carbon felt is absorbent like cotton. Has tiny loose fibers that play havoc with electrical instruments (keyboards)etc, can short out circuits. Stomach acid probably digests them ;)if you keep the felt in your pot ;)

Carbon felt does not make a good wicking material. Remote fueled stoves that use it retain a lot of fuel at the lower level. The fibers are oriented in a random fashion,not inline vertically.

A cozy would absorb lots of water/food stuff.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Did some experimenting and yes, it does indeed increase boil times, presumably because the walls of the pot are insulated from the heat travelling up the sides.

I still think carbon felt would make a good cosy material, but possibly not any better than neoprene or closed cell foam.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

JC,

Yep, San at Batch Stovez mage some upper wraparound cookpot cozys and did a boil test in you tube afew years ago abd found out about the increased boil times..

CF would be OK as a cozy except for stuff getting stuck all over it after a while. Its cool stuff to play with.;)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools