Topic

West Canada Lakes Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara West Canada Lakes Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

West Canada Lakes Wilderness

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I enjoy articles that highlight areas I would not normally visit or hear much about. Thanks for writing.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

What a great trip and report!
    Thanks.

Good motivation for getting the BWCA on the calendar.

Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

I have hiked all over the high peaks and the western Adirondacks. But I missed camping this Columbus Day. A tradition broken. You brought back many memories. Thanks.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Thanks for the kind words. I do highly recommend visiting the area if you can, its so unique and there's lots to explore.

You can come in from a few different directions, and there's even an option to go in from a car camping area as well. Its less crowded than the high peaks region.

There are lots of pockets back there where beaver dams and swamps flow and become unique and varied waterways that support native fish populations. Beavers keep the size down in some places but not in others. I sat on a rock and watched some 4-5 inch brookies trolling for an evening meal.

They readily take my favorite adirondack fly – the fran betters "usual" pattern.

Pay particular attention to the area southwest of spruce lake, off the northville placid trail. But take care not to underestimate the terrain… its very dense and easy to get lost back there. Just be prepared and you'll be fine.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Always great to see an area I've never been. On the condensation, did you open the doors? My Hexamid + was right next to the Gila river and got very little vs. my sil-nylon bivy, a buddy's Goretex single wall,etc…

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

HK, yes… I always sleep with the doors open, unless its absolutely pouring.

The issue was the temperature. It was COLD.

The next night we camped farther back from the water and a bit higher up and there was no condensation.

It likely helped to camp under trees, whereas on the night I had condensation, we were camped in a clearing.

There are a few past BPL articles that discuss the issue but I don't have a link handy…

That's where I read about the tree cover vs no cover.

karl hafner
    BPL Member

@khafner

Locale: upstate NY

There are several canoes and flat boats stored around cedar lake. If you go again email and I'll tell you where to look. There location changes depending on water level. karl

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools