Topic

Six Moon Designs 2007 Comet Backpack REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Six Moon Designs 2007 Comet Backpack REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

Six Moon Designs 2007 Comet Backpack REVIEW

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Good review Will. In my case, I would also choose the comet over the Mariposa or Mariposa Plus simply because as a beginner I would appreciate the versatility of the Comet. Since I can't really afford more than one pack right now, it's nice to have enough volume to get me thru the shoulder seasons and a decent compression system to get me thru warm weather.

When I was setting out to buy my first pack I found that it was hard to find a pack that is both light and versatile. Most of the truly ultralight packs sacrifice compression straps because they weigh too much, I suppose. Those stretchy cords just don't compress that well. This is why I ultimately decided to get a light pack that compressed well. It made me feel like I could have a bit of a learning curve as I well…learned. I considered this pack, but then decided against it. Really, I just don't like stuff outside my pack, so I see no need for pockets..

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have tried to work up enthusiasm for the Comet backpack (and the Mariposa Plus as well – which IMO is a superior pack design), but I just can't get past my concerns about all the mesh pockets. I'm sure the mesh they use is light and relatively durable, but do I really want a significant amount of my gear to be out on display and exposed to rain, UV, branches, and prying eyes? I've read the reviews that say mesh pockets are great for drying wet items, but if I have anything that needs time to dry, I can just as easily stick only that item under a strap and keep the rest of my gear tucked away.

I do think it's important to keep some gear (and/or lunch) easily accessible, and the mesh pockets are good for that, but just about any pocket would be good for that purpose.

As for me, I'm going to hold out for the new OHM. As far as I can tell from the sneak peeks a few BPL members have enjoyed, that pack will be light, generously sized, comfortable to carry with up to ~30lb loads, and be free of that annoying mesh.

robert courson
    BPL Member

@bertcourson

Locale: lake michigan

What is OHM?

I was excited about the pack but when I read that it does not support a water bottle I realized it was not for me. I guess I am old or something because I think all packs should have a place for at least 1 one Liter bottle.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The OHM is a new backpack in development over at ULA (www.ula-equipment.com). There are no photos available that I know of, but I hear it is going to be similar to their AMP model, only larger, with a harness system that’s derived from their CIRCUIT pack design. I guess with all the electrical terms they’ve chosen for pack names, “OHM” is a better option than “WATT”, but that one could have started some great Abbott and Costello-type trail routines….

Robert makes a good point about the Comet having no water bottle pocket. I too am a water bottle user, and while the lack of a water bottle pocket may be no problem for bladder fans, it is a problem for the rest of us.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

The Ohm is an pack from ULA Equipment to be released next year.

Someone mentioned concerns about mesh pockets and how useful they are. I personally find the mesh pockets on my pack (particularily the large back pocket) to be indespensible. I don't really worry about items I place in the pockets. Usually its raingear, lunch, a wet tent, or something of that sort. Not having to open my pack at all during the day is a real time saver for me during breaks.

Jim Cowdery
    BPL Member

@james-cowdery

Locale: South Florida

Good review, your comments and experiences a similar to mine.

I am a conservative buyer and did extensive research before purchasing my comet. Of the 5 packs I’ve purchased over the last ten years this is the most comfortable. It has handled 32 lbs on a 5 and a 7 day AT trip. My gear has stayed dry in the high-humidity conditions in the Smokies. I keep all my “wet” gear in the mesh pockets including my tarp or tarptent, bladders, water treatment, rain gear and cooking gear. It may look a little odd having all this stuff exposed but it makes these items very accessible and separates them from my pad, bag and food.

I also use a water bottle but carry it in an old OR bottle holder strapped to my hip belt. Platypus bags, 2 liters each for those dry spells, go in the side pockets to balance the load.

The hip-belt pockets are a godsend. They are a great place for me to store my glasses, maps and snacks.

I agree with the comments on the Velcro closure and would almost like to see matching rubber strips instead of the Velcro. The Velcro only serves to keep the fabric together as the closure is folded shut. It does snag clothing especially my fleece jacket.

I highly recommend this pack even to those that aren’t ultralight backpackers.

bruce a. bowden (disabled)

@firelookout

I have the 07 Comet Backpack and used it over the summer. Everyone has their preferences of a course but I value the mesh pockets greatly and keep things in them that I frequently use or may need off and on thru the day or in the case of outerwear that I have taken off as I warmed up hiking but then put back on when I take an extended break of go thru a windy section. I keep a 1 liter water bottle in each side pocket as I do not usually use a bladder with a hose either….and I cannot access them with the pack on easily ….. but my style is to take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes or so if the trail is steep and take the pack off and sit down…..that is when i drink (deeply) from the bottles, put on more sunblock, nibble at a snack, take a picture or two,etc all out of the mesh pockets without opening the main sack. When I work for the NPS, I keep my radio in the back mesh pocket with the volume up just a bit so I can monitor the transmissions. If the weather is really foul, I will slide a silnylon pack cover over to protect the gear but this is rare. My suggestion is that if you haven't tried BIG mesh pockets, give them a try before you discard the idea. For me they are invaluable.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Well put, Bruce.

I couldn't agree more.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Mesh pockets (on GoLite packs) were the perfect place to put all the discarded Gu packets my son and I picked up on the Skyline to the Sea trail. We could hose off the pack after the last bit of Gu leaked out. Also good for the wet tarp in the morning.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

There were some complaints of poor sewing quality with the 2006 Comet, so did SMD take care of this issue in 2007? From Will's review and everyone's responses it sounds like thats the case. Has anyone had issues?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I recommend the REI UL Cruise as an excellent, lower cost alternative choice to this Six Moons pack. The REI pack has loads of good features that equal and exceed the Six Moons design.

Eric

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

at 3lbs 3oz??
    i dont see how that is an alternative to a 1lb, 13oz pack. my focus is on carrying up to 30lbs max for a weeklong trip, and i feel the Comet will do just that.

i just purchased a SMD Comet newest model, which is on closeout for $120 (due to lack of demand) which is $10 less (bare bones) than the (sold out) REI cruise

so far it meets my expectations. i had read about the issues with the older models and it seems they were addressed, and the color changed to a more mild bluish-purple.

David Ure

@familyguy

How does it carry? Despite being heavier it may make the 30 pounds feel like much less.

KEVIN BYRNE

@kevinp203hotmail-com

I finally got out and used my Comet. The outside mesh pockets are great to have so many things visible. I kept a pair of lightweight Merrel "water shoes" in the back pocket and kept 4 0.5l recyclable water bottles in the side pockets. I used a POE Therm-6 pad folded up in the pad pocket, though I did use the aluminum pack stays for support. Now I just have to figure out how to bend them to the shape to my back. I got my pack weight down to under 25lbs because of equipment changes; backpacking is much more fun with so much less weight – but that is another story.

I heard somewhere that 6 Moons was going to be a way to reinforce the bottom of the stay sleeve to keep it from wearing through at the bottom. That hasn't happened yet on my pack, but better do it before it happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools