Topic

PCT and Terminal Cancer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Perhaps this young man's story has already been discussed here, but an acquaintance who shot the photos for this recently published article shared it with me.

I found it to be a moving read… it had a lot more impact for me than Wild did.

Gone Hiking from Backpacker magazine

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Read that. Great story putting it all in perspective … if an individual knew they were going to die in several months, how would they choose spend their last days?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

It was a wonderful story.

When I read it last week, it became a little dusty where I was eating lunch.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I was doing fine, but for some reason this part got me.

"When the flowers in the garden know tomorrow is their turn to be plucked, the lesson goes, Do they feel sadness? Do their faces droop? Are they any less bright? No. The moment they know that the next day it is their turn, they make themselves ready with great gusto and excitement."

Ryan

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

"As an old man, in 1963, Tristan enters a clearing to investigate an animal carcass and is set upon by a grizzly bear. He draws his knife and fights it. As they struggle, the image freeze-frames as One Stab narrates: "It was a good death."

Brad Pitt as Tristan Ludlow in the movie Legends of the Fall.

Little Mitten and I watched this flick last night and it ends with this scene as the Indian narrator says "It was a good death." An outdoorsman can only hope to have a good death.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Celebrated writer and environmentalist Sig Olson died while snowshoeing in the BWCA. Bob Kamps noted rock climber (very distant relative of mine), died while climbing. Aldo Leopold died of a heart attack while helping a neighbor fight a wildfire. My great uncle, an extraordinary outdoorsman drowned near Algonquin Park while canoeing. Everett Reuss died in the outdoors, cause unknown. Most think he likely fell off a cliff, some surmise he was murdered. Then there was the case of Walt Starr, who lost his life in the High Sierra.

For me, I'd like to fall asleep under the stars in the north woods and not wake up.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Nico.

David Ure

@familyguy

"An outdoorsman can only hope to have a good death."

The ending is symbolic as it relates that good men are always betrayed by those who have been shown mercy in the past (the bear spares Tristen when he was a boy – this is intended to be the same bear). Not sure this has anything to do with hiking to cope with terminal cancer.

David Ure

@familyguy

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I started the PCT with Astro in 2012.
    He scared me in his underwear at Deep Creek hot springs.
    We hitched together out of Tehachapi.
    We ate together in Reds Meadow.
    We hiked many miles and he never mention his illness. I didn't even know until after his hospital visit.
    I didn't hike with Andy, the guy with cancer.
    I hiked with Astro the thru hiker and thanks to him I will always remember there is a little hero in everyone … even when you cannot see it.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I read this story a couple of days ago, and I think it's the finest, most captivating piece of writing I've ever seen in Backpacker Magazine (and I've been getting them for a looong time). Loved it – Andy/Astro must have been quite a guy.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

All of us that deal with cancer keep the following in our hearts and mind…….

"Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams"

J Dos
    BPL Member

@damager

Locale: Redwoods of Santa Cruz Mts

Thanks for posting this Nico.

It's the best article I've ever read courtesy of Backpacker magazine.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I posted a "good death" sort of thing in the "geezer" thread, saying I wanted to die on the trail.

So what if my wife has to pay for a helo extraction of my carcass. (Then watch for the subsequent "giant gear sale" ;o)

But, yeah, that was a very touching story about a man (a man in every sense of the word) who made the most of his remaining days.
    That we all should have that much courage.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This was a great read, thanks for posting it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"The moment they know that the next day it is their turn, they make themselves ready with great gusto and excitement."

That describes every salmon in the stream!

But back to Andy — his story is absolutely amazing, sad, and inspiring!!

Ben Barnett
    Spectator

@backcountryofidaho

Locale: The Old West

I have to say this article in Backpacker was by far there best journalistic piece to date. I feel after reading about Andy/Astro it makes it pretty hard to complain about anything. This man went through so much at a young age and he didn't let it consume him, he went to nature for therapy and got it. I believe so many of us do this same thing for big or small problems and nature has an uncanny way of providing answers for us. Way to go Backpacker for bringing such an amazing life to light for us to all glean some valuable life lessons. This just shows that people continue to touch lives even after they are gone.

Ben~

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools