Topic

non-heat sensitive polycryo alternatives?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear non-heat sensitive polycryo alternatives?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Hey all,

I'd like to put a backpackable woodstove and a clear plastic panel in a 'mid, for taking in views while staying toasty and dry, but polycryo shrinks in contact with heat. Any ideas on clear plastics with a similar range of durability and weight, but without the heat sensitivity?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Nylon or polyester (mylar) films might be able to withstand the heat in your mid, depending on the spatial arrangement of things. Note that "hard" films like nylon or mylar will become clouded with wrinkles over time, so it wouldn't afford you a perfectly clear (glass-like) view outside. "Softer" films like PVC tend to be clearer and have fewer creases, but they also have lower melting points.

If your standards for the quality of the view are low (if you just want the window to check on weather, but not to take in the beauty, for example), and you don't mind an amber/orange tinted material, you could always use Kapton film. It's very strong and will tolerate temperatures that would destroy your tent. There are usually sheets of it on ebay. You'd want 5 mil (0.005") thickness, I would think.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Thanks Chris,

I spoke with some others and realize it takes a decent amount of heat to shrink polycryo. I may be able to place a panel on the opposite side of a mid from the stove. Basically a view is my priority.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools