Topic

2 Day Pemi Loop with the Mrs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 2 Day Pemi Loop with the Mrs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

So global warming may have a few good side effects (kidding), b/c this past Friday and Saturday turned out to be two amazing days to hike with perfectly sunny skies and temps in the 70's. With this unseasonably nice weather my fiancé' and I decided that we needed to skip the Ibex tent sale on Friday and make our third attempt on a 2 day Pemi Traverse. For those unfamiliar, the route runs over ten 4000' peaks with over 9000' feet in elevation change in a distance of 31 miles. Last year an early May attempt put us above treeline in pouring down rain with snow up to our knees. In an almost hypothermic state, we were forces to turn around and head out making for a rather long 22 mile adventure. Later that night I fought off shivers that would not seem to leave me alone till the next morning. Earlier this year we had the route and our gear dialed down to perfection, easily making the first 15 miles over the Franconia Ridge and then up Garfield to sleep. Disappointment struck upon waking at 3am to a thunder and lightening storm which I have not seen the likes of in some time. With the majority of the following day above treeline we decided to bail. Once again a long slow hike out the Wilderness trail took us by swollen rivers of freezing cold melt water to bring us back to our car by 9am soaking wet. Last weekend our luck did a 180 and all of the rain we saw happened in the last 5 miles just in time for the technical rock and root infested terrain to spit us out onto the flats back to the car.
    So with our 13 and 17 pound loads we were able to cover the first 11 miles over the Franconia Ridge in alittle over 5 hours. After finding a great AT backcountry spot we fired up some hot dogs over the Bushbuddy and settled in for 9 hours of sleep. The next day we got up and out at 5am and spent the first few hours in the dark finding our way across the incredibly painful Garfield Ridge (which was made much easier with the help of my new Fenix L1D Rebal). We were able to bang the final 20 miles out in 11 hours or so (which included a 20 minute stop at Galehead hut for $2 all you can eat leftover pancakes). We finished the final few miles on shaky legs and empty bellies with the rain coming down in sheets, but we were unfazed for we had just finished our first 2 day Pemi Loop together…
    Rach firing up some dogs over the bushbuddy

Rach and I at the summit of Garfield at 6:30am

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Sounds like an awesome trip! As with most other trip reports, I'm jealous :D

Tom

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Is your wife cooking hot dogs over the BushBuddy? If so, thats hilarious!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Indeed, we were healthy all day eating nuts and berries, so why the heck not right :)

Hot Dogs

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Hey Jonathan,
    You wrote:
    "Earlier this year… Disappointment struck upon waking at 3am to a thunder and lightening storm which I have not seen the likes of in some time."

LOL! I think this is when my husband and I met the two of you. Nice to see that you were finally rewarded with a great weekend! (and you got the Bushbuddy)

When Joe and I did the Pemi Loop later this summer, we apparently just missed an impromptu keg tapping at Galehead. I thought all those folks were milling around the hut because of the rain… ;-)

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

haha, thats too funny. Small world but I do remember you saying you were BPL member.

Congrats on completing the loop, it is a great feeling. So they had a keg at Galehead??? Who did they drug to hike a keg up there. That cannot be too much fun (until you get to drink it that is).

So yes, we got the Bushbuddy and what a great little tool. Not only can you make real food at the end of the day, but it provides a great campsite atmosphere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools