Topic

Best UL Hiker for mud, wet roots / boardwalks, and wet rocks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best UL Hiker for mud, wet roots / boardwalks, and wet rocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Opinions?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I really like my Montrail Mountain Masochist 2.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Sounds like you're planning a trip to New England- it's like that here six months out of the year! I have worn Vasque Pendulums for the past couple years and am happy with them. They have a 4 mm. drop; nice wide footbox; a midsole that takes a little of the sting out of the endless rocks you see everywhere above timberline around here; and a pretty grippy yet durable Vibram outersole. I've found that the uppers outlast the soles, which is a pretty good testament to how well they're made. Dunno how much they weigh, but they don't seem very heavy to me. And they drain very well, so I usually just chug through streams without worrying about it. Comfy too.
    HYOH, YMMV, ETC…

Have Fun!

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

This shoe is designed for running in such conditions. Very large lugs, lots of traction, close fitting upper, and light for a shoe with good protection. My 11.5's weigh 18.6oz for the pair. I found mine on sale for $95 or so.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

The Saucony Xodus 3.0 has been remarkably robust and grippy for me in those conditions while tramping in New Zealand. It has a really thick and chunky vibram sole for a trail runner, and is comparable to most "lightweight" boots in this regard. Some reviews I found of the Xodus 4.0 suggest the upper isn't as good, but the newest Xodus 5.0 seems better.

I have also used Innov-8 295/315's and Salomon Fellraiser's previously for the same terrain. These models were all good in mud/loose earth/roots, but I found them slick on smooth wet surfaces such as river stones.

Another shoe to look is the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor or Bushido, but I haven't used them due to the really narrow last used.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like my Merrill Moab GTX Mid "boots".

Light enough for me and very durable.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I pretty much wear regular running shoes or maybe trail running shoes for all my hikes, ranging from the point to point 140 mile Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic to trips in the Superstitions in Arizona, etc. For prolonged wet trips, I wear a pair of Cabela's neoprene socks. Even if my feet get wet, they are warm. Even if my shoes get wet, they are not very heavy as they were pretty light to begin with. At night, I turn the neoprenes inside out to dry and have a pair of dry socks for camp.
    I've never had any ankle problems on rough or rocky or whatever types of trails with wearing running shoes. Trail running shoes sometimes have a little more aggressive tread which aids traction.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I can highly recommend the Saucony Xodus 3.0 (13 oz, 11.5) and the lighter Peregrine 2 (10 oz, 11.5, the newer iterations are even lighter). The former comes with a Vibram sole, while the latter has a proprietary, aggressively lugged sole. The really neat thing about the Saucony trail runners is that they come gaitor ready, which is to say, there is a D ring sewn at the base of the laces for gaitor attachment. But, as mentioned above, Vibram and other hard rubber compounds don't do well on slick, wet logs or rock. Even so, they remain my favorite because of the weight and ability to dry quickly.

However, for better grip, I always turn to my La Sportiva Wildcats (14 oz, 11.5) or Ultra Raptors 14.5 oz, 11.5, actually they are European sized, so an 11.5 is really a 45). They both have an excellently supportive heel exoskeleton, while the latter sports a full wrap rand, allowing one to go through shallow puddles without getting wet. The better grip part is due to La Sportiva's proprietary "Frixion" sole compound, which is a type of "sticky" rubber. This sole will provide better traction on surfaces that defeat Vibram, but one still must exercise caution. The downside is that sticky rubber wears quicker.

Happy trails!

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks all, this is helpful.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I have the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor. They are an awesome trail shoe and I really like them a lot. Having said that, I am a tad disappointed they don't perform the way I was hoping on wet rocks.

I have several INOV-8 models all of which have sticky bottoms. All three INOV-8 models cling to wet rocks like glue. The Raptors are not even close to the INOV-8s on wet rocks.

I'll continue to use the Raptors because they excel other than that one feature. When they go to hiking heaven, I'll probably go back to the INOV-8s with their stocky bottoms.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks, which INOV-8's specifically?

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Love my Altra Lone Peaks. Work well in the mud for me. Fits my foot perfectly. I absolutely hated my Mountain Masochists, didn't fit right at all. That was the first and last time I'll ever order shoes online without trying on first.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools